Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnglenn_gw

Gorell or Softlite?

TNGlenn
11 years ago

This is my first post, but I have been reading replacement windows posts on this forum for a while. Thanks to all the great pros on this board for making me a smarter windows customer!

We are replacing 19-year old builder quality aluminum windows. There are twelve 31 x 70 single-hung, one half circle, one 22 x 42 fixed picture and a 6-foot hinged patio door.

After considering our options, we want to install premium vinyl windows with a glass package that is low-e and laminated We don't have an Okna or Himark dealer here and the one Sunrise dealer does't stock their full line and is primarily a sunroom and awning installer. Fortunately, Softlite Gorell has recently signed on with a well-respected dealer here in Nashville that also installs Andersen wood windows. We have quotes for the Gorell 5300 and Softlite Imperial LS products (he doesn't sell Elements). I believe we could be happy with either Gorell or Softlite and our budget can afford either one.

I have two questions:

1. Not including the patio door, the Gorell quote for the windows is $9,930 or $710 per opening. The quote for the Softlite is $11,330 or $810 per opening. Assuming a quality install for either window from the same dealer, is the Softlite worth the $1,400 premium?

2. We prefered the Softlite Thermal Glide to the Gorell 6300/6400 patio door because the Softlite had brass rollers rather than the nylon rollers from Gorell. Now this dealer is quoting the new design Softlite patio door called "Kingsroyal" and is calling the Gorell door "Thermal Glide". Have any of you seen the new Softlite door? Has Softlite re-branded the Gorell door as "Thermal Glide? The "Kingsroyal" has stainless steel ball bearing rollers and upgraded hardware. Both doors use a laminated glass package. The Gorell 6400 is quoted at $2,972 and the Softlite Kingsroyal is quoted at $4,057. Is the new Softlite door worth the $1,000 premium?

Thanks for your opinions. --Glenn in Tennessee

Comments (10)