Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Placement, two questions

Posted by earthmover (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 13:41

Hi all, need some design and cost feedback on the house we are building. The area above the porte cochere will be unfinished for now, but it has 3 windows. The one on the front, we will leave as is...it will be double hung, with shutters.
But what about the window on the side and the one one the back? Could the side window just be a round window (more decorative than functional and maybe save me $$)? What about the window that will face the back yard? I am considering getting rid of that window altogether. Thoughts about cost savings and how it will look? I hope I have successfully uploaded the picture of the side elevation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Placement, two questions

Here is the front elevation. My other question has to do with use of double french doors to either side of the front door. Would using large windows instead of doors save me a significant amount of $? I don't know how important it is to have a doors there. I seriously doubt we would ever use them.

o
RE: Window Placement, two questions

Shape windows are going to be more expensive per sq/ft than a double hung or other more common window.

Replacing a door with two larger windows will not net you any appreciable savings.

At the end of the day, you are dealing with the same amount of glass, frame, etc. so there is no real magic formula for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here