Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenita

Renewal by Andersen vs. Home Depot Andersen Windows

goldenita
16 years ago

Hi everybody.

We are looking to replace 2 windows in our kitchen, one 58x35 and the other 70x48. We first got a quote at Home Depot for the 400 series and it was about $825 each without installation. The windows include the temper option.

We just had today an estimate with Renewal by Andersen, (the rest of the house have all windows installed by Renewal by Andersen 8 years ago) and the quote is about $4000 without being tempered windows. We think this is too much. The lady from Renewal told us that the windows they installed are way better than the 400 they have at Home Depot. Is that true, or are similar in quality?

Would it be a problem to buy them at Home Depot and have them installed by our contractor?

We would like to have Andersen since all other windows in the house are already Renewal by Andersen Windows.

Any other recommendation, or place to shop for Andersen windows?

Thanks a lot in advance

Comments (41)

• fhiwindows
    16 years ago

825x2=1650+ tax= $1700 add new interior and exterior trim brings your total to $2000. When you add labor (good labor) from a established company you will be around $3400-4000+. Not much of a difference!

• Michael
    16 years ago

Are you asking about comparison? There is no comparison between a HD Andersen window and an Andersen Renewal Window.

One is wood and readily available. Renewal is a composite and only available through the Renewal program.

Michael

• goldenita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks fhiwindows and Michael for your help.

Michael, what is a better window, the Andersen 400 wood mad or the Renewal composite? I would guess the composite would require less maintenance. Any other advantage or disadvantage of any of the two?

• fhiwindows
    16 years ago

Brushworks, my local Andersen rep claims that depot's insert window(not the 400) is the same as the renewal window.

• jmbaker3
    16 years ago

where are you located? I know I just used renewal and they suck here where I am... still trying to get everything worked out after 7 months... parts missing, doors installed wrong, damage, and I don't speak polish.

• Darcy Branchini
    4 years ago

So I was just quoted a crazy high amount for renewal by Andersen and they are for the fibrex (composite), which as far as I can tell, those are the same as Andersen 100 series. I also got quoted about $850 per window for an Andersen 400 series replacement thru Home Depot (not including installation). I think it’ll ultimately cost us about the same for either of those, but I believe the Andersen 400 series is better. I’ve read a decent amount of bad reviews on renewal by Andersen... it’s making me think the HD route is a better one.

• Windowmaster
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The Andersen 100 series is a piece of garbage, its flimsy and very cheap looking. It might be called a composite but Renewal is made a lot stronger despite being a similar material.

Renewal is a much different window.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 years ago

Did HD quote you for installation?

• Sydney
    4 years ago

Be extremely careful if you decide to go with Home Depot for Andersen replacement windows.

In 2016 we signed a contract with HD and they stated their rep would be onsite the entire time to oversee the installation.

1) The windows we ordered and had a signed a contract for were supposed to be white interior / sandtone exterior. As soon as the first window was installed I informed the installer that the colors were incorrect and to stop installation immediately. The sales rep stopped by and informed me that I had to keep them even though they were the incorrect color. Wrong! New windows were ordered.

2) The installer came back when the new windows were ready. After they installed the first window, I noticed the windows wouldn't close because the top sash was about 2" short...basically the windows couldn't close. The sales rep stopped by and informed me that I had signed off on the measurements and would have to pay the difference for each window. Wrong! New windows were ordered once again.

3) Months pass by and they come back for the installation. The installers were pleasant and the rep from HD was onsite for approximately 15 minutes. As soon as the HD rep left, the installers that were working onsite called in another group of installers and they left. All of the windows were installed but you could not open windows because they were too tight. The HD sales rep refused to come back and I had to contact Andersen directly. Andersen stated it was an installation issue and I had to pay an Andersen rep to come out and inspect the windows. The Andersen rep passed the issue back to HD because it was considered an "installation" issue.

4) A month later another group of installers come out and redo all 26 windows. After installation was complete I noticed some of the windows were damaged during the reinstallation and they had even nailed in some of the screens to keep them from popping out. I refused to sign off on the completion and things got very heated and they refused to leave until I signed off on the paperwork and paid the remaining balance. I did neither and informed them the cops would be called if they didn't leave immediately.

HD refused to come back out until they were paid in full and they ended up sending the balance due off to a collection agency.

• Windowmaster
    4 years ago

Sydney

Can you post some pics. It doesnt make sense for them to nail screens. In fact, where could they even nail them??

not to defend home depot but sometimes when a homeowner has an issue they start nit picking everything and start looking for very small issues that are normally acceptable to most. Homeowners then try to use these “ frivilous issues) as a reason not to pay.

thats very dishonest and in my view its THEFT. Not saying this is what you did but some homeowners are much more shady than any unlicensed “chop job“ contractor.

yes, people really try and do this sometimes. They start acting as if they are frustrated and angry but its all an act.

• Sydney
    4 years ago

I work for a small business and am well aware of those types of customers. I am not one of them.

Approximately 15/26 of my windows have this type of nail "holding" in the screen.

• Darcy Branchini
    4 years ago

@Windows on Washington Ltd - no, I don't have a quote for the installation yet. This process requires so much of my attention! I just got a quote from Pella, and it's about 8K less than Renewal by Anderson for their high-end Architect Series. One of my biggest motivations for doing the windows is to reduce sound. Maybe some of you have experience with that? I just discovered the STC and OITC ratings for noise reduction and I can find technical specifications on all of the brands online (including Pella and Andersen), but not Renewal by Andersen. They seem to keep everything very close and the only way you can obtain the information is through a sales person.

• PRO
    4 years ago

What kind of noise are you contending with and what is the condition of your existing windows like? Any pictures of the interior of the home as well? Where is the home located?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Most manufacturers are vey close in STC ratings when using the same glass packages, some companies don’t test there windows . The quality of the window doesn’t seem to impact STC ratings much.

• Darcy Branchini
    4 years ago

@Windows on Washington Ltd It's outside of Ithaca NY on a county road with fast (55 miles per hour) traffic including trucks. I've attached photos.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

your windows look beautiful in the pictures , is there anything wrong with them?

• PRO
    4 years ago

+1. How about some closer pictures of the inside and outside.

You might be better suited (for STC) with an interior or exterior storm if you don't have one already. If you do, you can get much heavier storm windows will laminated and thicker glass that will perform better than just some offset glazing.

• nexp
    4 years ago

What road, if you don't mind my asking? I used to live in Ithaca. About the only thing that significantly improves STC is laminated glass. It is expensive.

Your house looks lovely, and perhaps historic? Are those original windows you have now? I think both the 400 and renewal would detract from the charm of your greek revival facade.

• HU-921433186
    3 years ago

We bought 4 200 series Renewal by Anderson 2 years ago. We had our contractor install them. We've had ice build up on them and can feel cold air. They no longer sell them. They say they stand behind their product. What can we do about this? Thank

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This is Andersen window , not Renewal by Andersen. Hard to pinpoint your answer, I assume you have talked to the contractor? It could be installation, environment or product.

• HU-921433186
    3 years ago

They come from the same factory...correct? Obviously you're not the one to ask.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

"They come from the same factory...correct?

Actually I do not believe they do. The 200 series as Todd mentions was not and never has been "Renewal by Andersen". In fact Andersen operates them as two separate business with completely different business models. But he is trying to offer help to you offer an insult back? Again, have you contacted the contractor who installed them? If you purchased them have you contacted the dealer you purchased them from? What besides complain on a faceless forum have you done?

• oberon476
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

No, they do not come from the same factory.

• HU-921433186
    3 years ago

I wasn't insulting anybody. Was just trying to get help. I just said obviously he wasn't the one to ask. Will never comment on here again.

• fridge2020
    3 years ago

Sounds like a bad install. The whole situation sounds like exactly what would be expected when a homeowner buys windows and has "their contractor" install thinking they are smart and saving money. Most often that ends badly.

The other possibility is that you just have improper expectations for your windows. What temp outside when you have ice buildup? If single digits or lower, that's not entirely out of the ordinary and dependent on the humidity level in your home.

• PRO
    3 years ago

As recommended above, I would start with a call to the contractor/installer. Ice build up on the frame is rarely an actual issue with the window vs. indoor (environmental conditions) humidity or installation issues.

• Jason
    2 years ago

Hello, wondering if you could give me your thoughts on a quote I received from Renewal by Andersen. Firstly, a little about my project and wants. I have a stucco home built in 1989, which we purchased about 2 years ago. Luckily, the home did not exhibit any of the notorious stucco issues homes in the area had that were built in the 90s.

However, I am looking to keep it that way so a top notch install is of utmost importance. I don't want wood windows because of necessary upkeep and I don't want vinyl. Our current windows are Anderson wood windows from 1989. We priced out all of our 1st floor windows (expect 2 that were replaced more recently), as well as two large patio doors (larger than they do apparently - have to do a small width picture window on each to fit the doors without having to build the actual building out to fit).

So, in all we were quoted for 6 double hung windows (35x64), 2 picture springline windows (24x72) (being changed over from casement with half moon on top to one piece of glass incl. halfmoon top), 2 picture windows (only 12x79 to take up the excess space for the gliding door installs), 2 sliding doors (95x79), and we are changing our two side by side casement windows in the kitchen into one awning window (45x33).

Total price is $35,000. If I eliminated the gliding doors (and accompanying picture windows), that dropped $16,000 off the price. I know we have larger than normal windows and a few specialty items going on, but still seems a bit high. I don't mind paying extra for top notch install, but want to make sure I am not too far off from having Pella (not Lowes) do it or Marvin.

Thank you.

• Jay Knobbe
    2 years ago

Can anyone with direct knowledge comment on if the Renewal by Andersen Fibrex doors and windows are different from the Home Depot Andersen Fibrex products?

Thanks for your help. Lots of money either way.

• PRO
    2 years ago

The are different windows.

• oberon476
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

+1

They are both made of Fibrex, but they are not the same window.

Much like not all windows made or wood or all windows made of vinyl are the same.

• Jay Knobbe
    2 years ago

Could someone clarify how they are different? Materials, options, engineering, better test results? Just trying to learn if the differences would matter to me in my situation.

• nexp
    2 years ago

Seems high. Andersen renewal are sold exclusively through franchised installers and are often considered a poor value (while the product is good) and known for pushy door-to-door sales. OThe all-fibrex is the 100 series, which is the cheapest Andersen product.

There are no inherent “upkeep issues” with wood windows - it’s nearly impossible to find wood windows that are exposed wood on the exterior. Andersen 400 series casements are vinyl clad and the double hung sash is coated with a thick polymerized paint, the frames are vinyl-clad and the sills are fibrex clad. The A series and Marvin integrity are fiberglass with wood interiors. Many makers do aluminum clad wood.

Best bet is to use a window company that sells multiple lines of windows or hire a carpenter and buy the windows from a local building supply/lumber yard.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"it’s nearly impossible to find wood windows that are exposed wood on the exterior."

HUH?

• nexp
    2 years ago

Most modern mass-market windows for which the structural elements of the window are wood have some sort of coating (flexcron) or cladding (vinyl/aluminum) on the exterior as opposed to “raw” wood that must be regularly painted and maintained. Unless one goes out of the way to buy an all-wood window from Marvin or Loewen, which are generally only specified for historic restoration projects, when one buys a “wood window” today, one still gets a low/no maintenance exterior. Is this inaccurate?

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"Is this inaccurate?"

Not really. It is typically a look and house type. I live near the Hamptons unless it is an ultra modern house wood exterior is the typical finish everyday. The do not want clad as they are looking for the look and they pay for it. This is true in pockets all over Long Island as well as the US.

• dennisgli
    2 years ago
    • Total price is $35,000. If I eliminated the gliding doors (and
      accompanying picture windows), that dropped $16,000 off the price. I
      know we have larger than normal windows and a few specialty items going
      on, but still seems a bit high. I don't mind paying extra for top notch
      install, but want to make sure I am not too far off from having Pella
      (not Lowes) do it or Marvin.

So it was $19,000 for seven windows and $16,000 for two sliding doors? Seems high but without knowing the installation details it's hard to know. Who did you get the quote from? Have you checked their references? I'd particularly ask for references for stucco jobs that they have done.

I didn't think Marvin installed windows? It might be worth finding a local installer. Have you considered fiberglass? In any case I'd get some more quotes!

• Adam Henry
    last year

We were also told by the Anderson installer that the Anderson 100 (available from box stores) is the same window as the Renewal by Anderson window. This is simply not true for the following reasons (my observation this past week):

As noted above the Anderson 100 feels flimsy. The piece of fibrex at the top of the window by the lock is used to open the window and had a lot of give and almost felt like it was going to come off. The Renewal by Anderson window is opened at the bottom with a handle that's embedded into the frame.

When closing the Anderson 100 window it falls into a channel with weep holes to let water escape not too uncommon in other windows. The windows I'm trying to replace are of similar design and it's really just a dirt trap. The renewal by Anderson Windows don't have a channel but have a sloping ledge instead. This is similar design to Anderson 200 and 400 models you can get from box stores.

Not sure yet if these differences are enough to make up the difference in estimated we received...

• PRO
    last year

While there is more material, by volume, in the RBA window, the reality is the largest difference is in how they are marketed.

• HU-468263185
    9 months ago

We went through Home Depot for our Andersen windows. it was the worst experience in my life!! placed an order last June. They told me it would be three months for installation. it wound up taking a year! They lied to me during the entire process with excuse after excuse. When they did install them, all the windows did not come in. They said they couldnt get them in the 100 series and I’d have to go to the 400 series, which came up brought the price up by $9,000! They did NOT stick to their contract. I kicked him out of my house! I will never shop at Home Depot again. Horrible! I wound up going through Renewal by Andersen and they are wonderful! Also, the price was about the same with professional sales, updates, and workmanship! Do NOT go to Home Depot and think you’re getting a better deal because it is not worth the stress and unprofessionalism.

• PRO
    9 months ago

And what did the RBA contract set you back and how many units?