Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyjumper_gw

Jeld Wen Patio door at Menards

skyjumper
11 years ago

we need a new sliding patio door, and the wife wants internal mini-blinds. looks like the only options are Pella (too expensive) or Jeld Wen at Menards.

I would love to go with Marvin Integrity, but no internal blinds.

The model I'm looking at is the aluminum clad wood with wood interior. I don't know which specific Jeld Wen prodcut line this is as Menards doesn't advertise them that way.

the door with internal blinds is about $1300, or about the same as Marvin Integrity without blinds.

So - does anyone have any opinions on the aluminum clad Jeld Wen doors at Menards? How big of a step down is it from the Integrity doors?

thanks!

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I would not purchase windows or doors at a box store and the step down in quality from Integrity by Marvin to Jeldwen is about 6'-8" (no comparison). There is a reason quality companies do not put blinds between the glass, there is no quality way to do it...

• skyjumper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know I know. that what my thinking as well. but then what is the best way to block the oppressive western sun from cooking us through the sliding door? regular blinds just arent a good option (we have 2 boys under 3 yrs old who like to pull on things, and how would blinds over a slider work anyway? how do you get though the door when they're down?). growing up we had curtains covering our sliding patio door and I hated it.

this may be one of those times when convenience trumps quality.

but how bad can big box jeld wen be? are we talking delamination of the clad exterior? water leaks? poor thermal performance? fogging of the glass? or do the just generally fall apart?

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

I disagree that blinds between the glass are a bad idea. Sunrise makes on of the best doors available and they offer lift & tilt and tilt only. All Sunrise Patio doors come with a transferable lifetime warranty and Sunrise also uses hard-coat LoE with the blinds to help reduce solar gain. I would see if there is a Sunrise dealer in your area and have a look. It's a very nice door.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

OK, I guess I was thinking more of the Pella, Jeldwen quality wise but I am not familiar with Sunrise vinyl. That being the case I am not sold on blinds between the glass on these brands.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

I put in a couple of dozen doors with blinds last year. Haven't had a single call back except for one that came in damaged. The only downside of having the blinds is you cannot get argon gas and it has to be a hard coat LoE because the blinds can scratch the softcoats. Most manufacturers will not offer even a hardcoat LOE. That's why I recommended Sunrise. BBG is a very popular option and we sell it on nearly half of all our patio door orders.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info Eco, as I mentioned the only thing I was familiar with is the crap that is out there. Also never thought about that fact with the glass and Hardcoat vs Softcoat Low E. Something else to put in the memory bank.

• skyjumper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well I called sunrise. thier door is vinyl, which I don't want. they also don't have a dealer nearby. they said they have just begun to offer an improved internal blind system - the same system as in the Jeld Wen doors (no strings).

so it looks like Menards Jeld Wen it is. and it's only $993 in stock.

I wish I wish Marvin offered internal blinds in their integrity doors...

• wtpulse
    10 years ago

Did you ever purchase the jeld wen door with the blinds???? If so how are they working for you?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz