Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Andersen sidelights that open?

Posted by mominthedubc (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 08 at 13:31

Hi, we have a dilemma. We are putting an Andersen swing in French Door in our FR. We have all Andersen windows throughout the house so we neeed to have that brand with a Terratone finish on the outside. I would like a French Door with sidelights for ventilation. All I can find on their website are fixed sidelights that DON'T open. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Maybe Andersen does have sidelights that open and I just don't see them???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Andersen sidelights that open?

It is hard to find an operating sidelight. I have had success in using a 17 casement by 71 inches and keeping it up off the floor a little bit matching the height of the door.

o

Check with a clad wood window and door manufacturer named Eagle. We've used their ventilating French door sidelites and they're very well-built. If I remember correctly, Marvin had also submitted a proposal for the specified venting sidelight product. However, I'll bet you'll find a standard color match with Eagle due to their close relationship with Andersen.

The idea posted above was a common approach to achieving ventilation at a main entry before operable French door sidelights became popular. It looks a lot nicer with the venting French door sidelight, as the door stiles and rails align nicely. This is not possible with a standard casement, as the sash profiles are much narrower than a typical French door. However, you might verify that the stiles and rails align correctly between the Andersen and Eagle products, as it is unlikely that they will identically match.

o

Thanks so much!

o

I recently saw in the paper sidelights that are screened and hinged to open into the foyer. The reason for this is to avoid a storm door which covers that beauty of the center door.

o

I looked at my 2008 Andersen catalog and they have casement windows (CR16) that have glass openings of about 67x12 inches. Seems like that would be tall enough to roughly match the glass in a french door. You'd have to trim out the top and bottom to match the door. Just a thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here