Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Is the seal broken on these windows?

weedyacres
10 years ago

Home inspector says seal bad on this double casement window. No sign of any condensation or fogginess, so the only thing we can figure is he saw some cracks in the epoxy or whatever this is and made that conclusion. I'm not a window expert. Is this really indicative of a bad seal needing a replacement? These are Anderson windows originally installed in 2003 per the owner before us.

In case you're disoriented, this is the view standing in the room looking down at the sill. It's a dormer window, so you're seeing the roof in the top part of the photo. The small vertical lines are the cracks.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Tough to say from that picture.

If you can't wipe it off, its a busted IGU seal or failed Low-e.

Either require replacement.

• oberon476
    10 years ago

Reallly tough to tell from the picture...

Are the cracks in the window sash/frame or are they between the lites?

If the cracks aren't between the lites, and you aren't seeing any cloudiness or condensation inside the IG unit, then I am wondering what the inspector was thinking when he said they needed replacement because of seal failure.

If those cracks are in the spacer between the lites then there is a different story.

If the cracks are in the sash or frame, then I would ask him to see what he says.

This post was edited by oberon on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 18:49

• PRO
    10 years ago

Spacer does appear to be failing in this case. UV degradation in all likelihood.

The will will require a new IGU if applicable or a new window.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

That is what my initial thoughts were as well, wow. I asked for possibly better pictures as well.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another shot with a bit more perspective.

The cracks are in the spacer between the lites.

I called Home Depot to price out replacements and they said they're likely still warrantied by Anderson. So I've started that process.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Yes those will require replacing as those units are compromised. What windows were they by Andersen as I do not recall plastic or composite spacer but I have been out of the Andersen business on a direct basis for 7-8 years?

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the previous owners told us they were Anderson. When looking for the identifying marks we couldn't find any, but instead found a sticker from the (local) manufacturer. I called them up, they're making new ones, and for $45 labor we'll have 3 new sashes.

Good eye, millworkman. :-)

• oberon476
    10 years ago

Andersen uses Cardinal's stainless spacer in all of their windows that are actually produced by Andersen.

While the 100 series was initially introduced using a different IG system, the entire line was converted to Cardinal a year or two ago.

However, the profile doesn't look right (to me) for a 100 series, and I have posted a 100 series casement handle for comparison to the last picture.

Also, if it's an Andersen, it will have info logo'd on a corner of the glass. If there is no logo, it isn't Andersen.

That spacer should be a warranty issue for somebody, but if there is no manufacturer info anywhere on the windows then you are out of luck unfortunately.

Do you have any tempered glass windows in your home? It's possible that whomever made the windows also fabricated their own IG units and in that case they may have tempered their own glass. IF you have tempered glass in any of your windows, look at the tempered logo for "SGCC" with a four digit number after the letters.

Get those four numbers and you can find out who tempered the glass - which MAY lead to the window manufacturer. Long shot, but who knows?

• Esko
    10 years ago

Hard to tell from the picture but that almost looks like a warm edge spacer. Like Windowsonwashington said probably UV related. I wouldn't say that it necessarily means the seal is bad though, isn't the actual seal on the outside edge? Either way it looks bad and if they are going to cover it you may as well get them replaced.

• PRO
    10 years ago

If the window is dual sealed, the seal is on the outside edge.

Some are not but I would suspect this spacer is on the way out regardless and start the warranty inquiry.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Absolutely if it is covered get the glass while it is.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Warranty...schmarranty.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

lmao, I love that cat.......

• oberon476
    10 years ago

lmao!!