Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transom-Windows-Door

Posted by kberrie1 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 13:00

I am self-contracting my home construction.

I have a question about the windows and french patio door setup in my Family room.

I plan on using Andersen 200 windows but Andersen is pricey on the French door, so I will try to find another brand.

I would like Transoms across the window/door configuration. How would you accomplish this? Can I use Andersen transoms above the other-brand door? Does the 200 series make a transom for patio doors?

Are there other configurations that would be less expensive (keeping some sort of transom) than a double french door flanked by 2 3x6 windows?

Thanks for any feedback and opinions!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transom-Windows-Door

You may want to reconsider going with something cheaper than a 200 series French Door. In windows and doors you truly get what you pay for and you do not want to be replacing this in 10 years. Also the transom should be the same brand so your glass sightlines will line up.

o

Using the same brand is a definite must in order to get proper alignment.

I would also agree with millworkman that going cheap is a recipe for disaster in the long run.

Build it once and be done with it.

o

We saved a considerable amount of $ by using a "cottage" grill instead of a transom window on our Marvin Integrity. The photo is of a window, but the grill is available on doors. Use an 8' door with a 1' grill.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

That turned out very nice.

Pretty window combination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here