Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junkjunkie_gw

BF Rich Vinyl windows

junkjunkie
14 years ago

At the end of May, I had four BF Rich vinyl windows installed. Two were in my bedroom and the other two were in the kitchen. The bedroom windows have been fine so far, but the kitchen ones have been a headache. At first, one window wouldn't lock...the locking mechanism wouldn't meet...so I called BF Rich to have someone come out to look at it. I was told that when I close the window, push down at the bottom of the window. I did this a few times, and it worked for a while, then it wouldn't lock again. Another person came out and said because of the vinyl material, I had to keep the windows locked for a day or two, especially because it was summer, so that the vinyl would 'mold' to its new position. I did that, and so far, that's worked. Now....when we get heavy rains, normal rains, both windows leak and water gets inside. I called the installer and he came out. He said that the upper portion of the outside window was dry, and did a few little adjustments...he really saw no problem. That was a couple of weeks ago. We had heavy rain on and off yesterday and the same thing happened. I left the installer a voice mail and filed a complaint with the local BBB online. I'm very frustrated and they were expensive! Has anyone had a similar experience with BF Rich windows....what did you do? Thank you.

Comments (21)

• junkjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I also want to note that these were replacement windows.

• appleway
    14 years ago

We just moved from a house where we had B.F. Rich windows installed(replacements) and it was nothing but trouble. We finally gave up trying to do anything about them. It was more trouble than it was worth. Our problem with the windows involved the noise they made when the wind blew. It sounded like we lived in a haunted house. Yes, they tried to fix the problem but it was NEVER resolved. Somehow, ladybugs were able to get behind the screen and every time we opened the windows they would fall out into the room. It was a maddening experience with cheap(even though they cost plenty) windows and a pretty crappy installation by the installers. Also, every time we closed the bottom window the top window would slide down a little bit and if you didn't notice it you would end up with all kinds on insects in the room(because the screen was a half-screen and only covered the bottom half of the window). All in all, a horrible experience!

• junkjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a terrible experience, gray2soon! That has got to be frustrating. At least you're not getting water in through the windows, though. I got a call from one of the owners of the company that installed my window and he said that it probably is from a window above the new windows, which is on the second story. That window is old, but on Saturday, when we got the heavy rain, I checked that window and it was as dry as a bone. How come...I've lived here six years...before I had the new kitchen windows put in, I never had rain come in through the previous windows...and now since I have the new windows, the problem is the second story window??? Of course, it's not their crappy installation, or the crappy windows themselves. I think they're trying to scam me into buying a new window on the second floor at the tune of another $1500.00!! I have a question for the window experts out there. Is there any way I can get an impartial window expert to look at the installation (sort of like a home inspector, but specializes in windows) and the windows themselves? Someone not affiliated with the installation company or BF Rich. I don't trust what I'm being told by these people.

• bfrich
    14 years ago

Hi JunkJunkie and Gray2soon,

I am a company officer of B.F. Rich. I came across your posts and immediately wanted to respond. I do not know the specifics of your situation but I am concerned. Please contact me at sales@bfrich.com or at our toll free number 1-800-237-4241. I will be happy to assist in having your concerns addressed. At B.F. Rich we take pride in providing excellent service.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Terry Rex, Vice President of Marketing

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

Very nice of you to offer to help, Terry. I'm sure Gray2soon really appreciates your concern.

Junkjunkie
    I'm sure if you are willing to pay someone to come out and look at your windows you will be able to find someone. Not directed at you but, too often consumers expect third parties to a problem to spend their time and gas for no compensation. I actually had a consumer I had given an estimate to, who expected me to write an evaluation and come to court and testify on their behalf in the name of customer relations. They purchased their windows from a competitor because his price was about $25 per window less than my price.

• bfrich
    13 years ago

Our entire company has concern for our products. I initially responded Wed, Apr 21, 2010 asking that you contact me so I can assist with your concerns. I havenÂt received a call and I am still concerned. I am hopeful that you will contact me so I can help. Please call our toll free number 1-800-237-4241. I will be happy to assist in having your concerns addressed. At B.F. Rich we take pride in providing excellent service.

I look forward to hearing from you.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

+1

Great response from a company (BF Rich) so far.

Hope you guys get this resolved to everyone's mutual satisfaction.

• bfrich
    13 years ago

Today is May 13, 2010. I was hoping I would have heard from you to help you with your concerns. Please call our toll free number anytime 1-800-237-4241, we are eager to address any valid customer satisfaction issues. At this time I can not validate the claims you posted. For those of you who would like to see what other people have to say please visit B.F. Rich's consumer testimonial page.

Here is a link that might be useful: What people are saying about B.F. Rich Windows & Doors

• Marilyn18
    10 years ago

I love our B.F. Rich windows. We had the whole house done: 22 windows. There are no air or water leaks. However, the screen slide locks have begun to break, specifically the right slide lock on 3 windows. Does anyone else have this problem and what can be done?
    Thanks!

• nartnav
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have the same problem as junkie junkie but worst. We have our whole house installed with BF Rich windows. Since the persistent rain for the past few years, most if not all of the windows have been slowly leaking to the point where there are brown stains to the sill and caulking. The installer can't figure it out and one point they have a representative of BF Rich to come out and look but there are no solution. Since the installer have looked and tried to address the problem multiple times, they think it maybe the window but BF Rich didn't think so. Now they are out of business, I'm stuck with sleepless nights when it rains.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Might be time to remove some drywall under the windows and do some selective water tests.

• PRO
    8 years ago

+1

Happens all the time Master. Folks (usually competitors) come by to throw grenades without any real facts behind them.

• Rose Czerula
    7 years ago

I had BF Rich windows installed in Jan 2006 and for a while they were "fine" had the installer come out several times to fix different things and now 10 years later the windows are starting to fail. Earlier this year I contacted the co. and they said "someone" would get in touch within 1 week to take care of problem, however -- over 1 month later no contact. Called them again and finally got through to the person handling my area. This was in March, he said that only 2 windows failed he would replace them in 2 to 2-1/2 weeks, and the rest was 'moisture inside house' if that were true, then there would be mold or other moisture problems within my house which was a blatant lie. Now -- it is the end of MAY - he finally called to replace the windows after over 1 week of rain and wants to slog the mud through my house to replace them he says he has to CHARGE me for their replacement. Bad service. bad windows. Would not recommend this company to anyone - for any reason.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Having a seal failure doesnt automatically mean you are going to get mold. Condensation on a window has to do with interior humidity as well as the dew point.

If the moisture is between the 2 panes of glass and cannot be wiped off, meaning the moisture on the glass always remains, thats a seal failure. If the moisture can be wiped off, its normal condensation.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Was it the installation company or BF Rich that you contact for the sash replacement?

• Rose Czerula
    7 years ago

I first contacted the installer and they said they no longer dealt with BF Rich, they gave me contact information and I called them. They gave me the number of their person here, called him and he came out and looked at the windows. He said it would take 2 to 2-1/2 weeks for replacement and it took several months. I am disappointed with the quality of the service received. Originally windows did not close properly - installation problem. That was fixed after a number of calls to installer. Now, even though there are only 2 windows that need replacement - the problem is with the service. Lousy service, constant excuses and then the repair person expects me to be available on his schedule? Sorry, but I have better things to do than wait all day for someone to make up their minds as to when they will show up.

• nartnav
    6 years ago

Unfortunately, I'm the real owners of the windows so throwing grenades wouldn't help me especially now the BF Rich window company and my installers are out of business. The life time warranty is out the windows and none of the windows has been fixed. If you tell me a list of reliable window experts who I can contact that is willing to take on the task of figuring out what the problem is in Montgomery county, I'll be greatly appreciated. Offering me a comment that I'm here to throw mud at a business with out knowing what I have to go through is kind of unfair especially you are so called Pro. I certainly didn't expect to spend that kind of hard earned money to have to become an expert myself to fix the problems. My old aluminum windows maybe drafty but they certainly did not leak and damage most of my window sills.

• PRO
    6 years ago

nartnav,

Not sure what the real outcome is going to be here. If the windows were installed improperly and have been like that for +2 years, they are probably unsalvageable at this point. Clearly replacement parts (sash, frame, and glass) are not going to be available from the manufacturer at this point.

Has anyone been able to tell you what they observed as being "wrong" with the installation so far?

I have to be in Potomac today around noon if you want me to take a look at them and give you an opinion of what is wrong. I would need interior access as well.

• HU-666941050
    2 years ago

Had anyone had any luck trying to find out if anyone took over the assets of BF Rich? i too have BF Rich windows. They are 7 years old, so im thinking it was right before they filed bankruptcy. Out of our 47 windows, the seals have failed in 80% of them

• PRO
    2 years ago

What type of operators doe you have that are failing? Double Hung? You might find that IGU replacement will replace the cost of new windows...sadly