Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fivefootmenace_gw

Window help!

fivefootmenace
10 years ago

So I'm hoping this forum will be helpful with brainstorming some
Solutions for my window/siding problem. My husband and I recently replaced replacement windows that weren't done properly. In the process we had to replace a significant amount of framing and plywood on the house because of rot. Since our house was covered in some bizarre very breakable composite, we are left with a house that is now the block's eyesore. Since we didn't budget the additional work with replacing the windows and never intended on siding the house anytime soon we're left trying to find a solution.

We have an uncle who did siding for a living who offered to help. So we've been saving for the material cost. We just found out he has to go to Germany for a whole for work and won't be able to help. Since we've gone one winter with the house exposed I don't want to go another. My husband is very discouraged and I'm just trying to help him not feel so overwhelmed with the whole project.

Sooo my question to all of you is...what is an alternative to having the windows capped. My father is very handy and has renovated many properties but the detail work was never his thing. We currently just have the windows installed with just a piece of wood calked to cover the gaps until my uncle was able to come and help. I see some products made of plastics and composites and even a certainteed product called j-pocket. Would any of these help with trimming out the windows? What are some solutions other than aluminum capping which is really intimidating for my husband to tackle?

Comments (6)