Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BTU rating on windows

Posted by melmark4 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 12:29

Hello everyone,
I'm back with a new question on the same problem. Had a window salesperson come out. Sat through the presentation. He used a BTU meter and a heat lamp on his window compared to ordinary glass and on a double pane and mine. Remember my collapsed class were fixed. The meter was set for 400. Ordinary glass read 400. Then double pane and the meter read like 320. His window read 40. My repaired windows read 400. A brand new window I receivied from Anderson read 240. Anderson refuses to replace the widows stating their fix for the collapsed glass is all they will do and need to do. Should not my windows have the same btu reading as the new window? Still get condesation on the windows Having curtains or blinds don't seem to make a difference.
Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BTU rating on windows

Ah the classic "amazing BTU" heat lamp demonstration. Amazingly set up so the glass he is selling has astronomically better ratings than the "garbage" he is comparing it to... Sorry ramblings of a window replacement guy that doesn't partake of silly demonstrations.

To your questions: It sounds like your Andersen windows have some low e on them b/c they are blocking to a 240. However, there are varying levels of Low E and some block better than others. In addition, argon gas in the air space will reduce the heat transfer even more. The glass he was showing you likely had a Low E 366 with argon gas filled airspace. This will get you the best ratings. The Andersen windows likely have a Low e 272 and no argon. They are cutting heat transfer by half so there is some efficiency going on there.

Sorry to hear you are getting the stonewall from Andersen. Not sure what the collapsed glass issue is (didn't see the last post), but I would dig deeper on the issue. Find someone higher up the chain and see if you can get a resolution.

As far as condensation goes: if you are seeing condensation on the roomside of the glass, you have a humidity issue within the house that you need to resolve. If condensation is occurring between the glass, you have a seal failure option that Andersen needs to resolve.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Antonio Windows and Doors

o
RE: BTU rating on windows

lol, I did not realize the old "tinmen" still tried this approach

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here