Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdam_gw

Air Infiltration Values - What/Where to Look?

bdam
9 years ago

So I'm doing some serious research on various door options. There'll be a big long post at some point soliciting opinions... I'm pricing out 10 or so different vendors.

I've spent a lot of time (a lot) reading the various threads here regarding brands, options, ect. However, I keep seeing references to air infiltration values but I haven't been able to find values for most of the doors I'm looking at. Everyone lists thermal performance, sound performance, DP/PG value, but very few list how much air they let in.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of what to look for and where to find it?

Thanks,
Bryan

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Bryan,

Most times the manufacturers will have that information on hand. You will have call the specific manufacturer or sales rep for that information.

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks WOW. So I wasn't just doing it wrong, they really don't make that widely available. Are the variances enough that it's worth looking into when comparing doors?

I'm up in Michigan and the doors I have now are so bad you can see daylight through them and in the winter you can quite literally feel wind coming through if you hold your hand up to them. All that to say, it makes me sensitive to the fact that the best insulated door is sort of useless if it leaks air through.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

As a general rule, if the AI rating of the window is good, the manufacture will offer it gladly. If the AI rating is bad, they will avoid giving it out. So if you have a window you're considering and the manufacturer/dealer is not forthcoming with the rating, you can pretty much assume that their window didn't perform well.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

Are you talking about hinged entry doors, or something like a sliding patio door? If the latter, it is definitely a factor to give significant weight. Either way, that rating will give you a good idea of the quality of the engineering and assembly of the unit. Just don't forget that proper installation is very important to achieve that rating.

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both, I'm looking at both out-swing patio doors (center hinge) and sliding patio doors. I assume the hinged doors win between the two but that's not the sole factor in deciding between the two. I've more or less eliminated the junk brands (JeldWen and the like) but trying to find data on Integrity, Solaris, Sunrise, Home Guard, and a few others. Few of them have been as forthcoming with this data compared to the energy performance data.