Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Window Restoration - Philadelphia

Posted by schroads (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 25, 09 at 11:46

Hello Everyone:

I have been lurking on this forum for several months. I have also read many of the posts / exchanges about restoration vs. replacement of wood windows. I am looking for recommendations.

We recently (3 months) purchased a home with 28 original double-hung wood windows. They are prairie style of various sizes 8/1, 12/1, 16/1 and 20/1. We love the look of the windows and all but one work (mechanically) fairly well. We are planning on living in the house this winter and seeing how drafty the house is. As long as there are no major drafts or other problems, we hope to hire someone to reglaze, repaint, and weather strip the exterior windows and replace the aluminum storms (from 1980's) with harvey triple track storms.

Our home is outside of Philadelphia in New Jersey and we have been having some trouble lining up window companies or contractors who work on the old wooden windows. Several companies have recommended replacement, but there are a couple of problems. We love the old windows and there is very little structural problems with the windows. A couple need minor wood work in the track, but other than that they are extremely sturdy old growth forest wood. Our house is concrete/stucco and the windows are well set in the 12-15 inch exterior walls of the house. Why mess with something if its not broken?

Does anyone have recommendations for window companies or contractors in the Philadelphia area who restore (fix, reglaze, paint and weatherstrip) old double hung wood windows.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here