Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Where to begin with exterior window trim?

caroline94535
14 years ago

Hi! I'm a lurker coming out to ask some window trim questions.

We have a very plain, old, home. Clean, dry, and serviceable. Nothing elegant or historical. Just a little house.

One of our first projects was to replace some of the windows. We installed new Marvin windows. They're metal clad on the outside and wood on the inside. I'm painting the inside white.

I've trimmed the inside of the windows with rosettes and fluted molding. I'm happy with them.

The outside is awful. They simply stuck the windows in. There is a small metal ridge between the windows and the steel siding. I'd like the outside of the windows to have a "frame", too. I have 14 more windows to replace. I want to fix this problem before we go any further.

How do I go about this; or where would I find instructions? We'd like something plain and simple, but with a wider or shaped top rail.

Outside view of a window. Taken in early spring and the dirt on the sill was blown on from the plowing. Wind and dust are a given here in North Dakota. I was in the process of washing windows when I took this photo.

Inside trim...

{{!gwi}}

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH