Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this really what windows cost?

Posted by dobbermn (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 11:45

I'm in the market for new windows. I need 5 vinyl replacement (pocket/insert style) windows. one with tempered glass 27"x54" and 4 normal glass 28"x54".

I've received quotes from Pella (250) and from a company that installs Alside Mezzo. Both companies pretty much are quoting a price of $1000 per window which includes taking the old ones, clean up and wrapping the exterior with aluminum.

Is this really what windows are going for these days in Minnesota? I read on a lot of these forums that I shouldn't really be paying more than $600 per window bu t based on what I'm seeing that's an unattainable goal.

I have a company coming out tomorrow for a quote on soft-lite windows but I fear that they will be right in line with the prices I've already been getting.

Maybe I'm out of touch with reality on pricing. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this really what windows cost?

Keep shopping.

I wouldn't pay that for either of those windows nor would I pay $600.

o

I can see a higher end vinyl for the price you were quoted but certainly not a window made by pella or alside. Pella make a very flimsy vinyl window. Higher end vinyl are more efficient than any wood window but unfortunately Alside and Pella are not on that list.

o

Not certain where you are in relation to the twin cities, but as the pros mention - keep looking.

Have you searched Polaris or Sunrise (Vanguard or Restoration series)? A couple of great performers.

o

I just reached out to sunrise today. They said their district manager would put me in touch with someone. I'm in the heart of the city in the Hopkins area.

o

And the sunrise dealer they put me in touch with gave me the "both homeowners are required to be there" spiel. That eliminates that dealer.

o

Why would the "both homeowners" deal eliminate it from consideration?

I will say that it is nice to have both folks handy so they can both weigh in on the decision.

You would be surprised how many times we get contracts that are all fuddled up and require multiple visits because the homeowners couldn't agree on product.

o

Well, I'm having to get some estimates during the day so I've taken some days off but my wife can't/won't take a day off as well. Either way, we know what we want. We have a starter home that's worth less than 200k and don't need anything fancy. So, really just give me a good product at a good price. If they really flat out refuse to come out because we both can't be there and would rather just say no up front to my business instead of coming out and giving me a quote then I don't want to do business with that company.

o

Flat out refusing is another thing in and of itself.

That is bad policy in my opinion but to each his/her own.

It is nice to have both folks there to review questions, choices, and get feedback.

I totally get where you are coming from with the schedules though. It is tough to get people together in this country for dinner so siting around the table for a window quote is a stretch a bunch of the time.

o

So the local soft lite dealer came out and gave me an estimate. 5 elements windows with triple pane ultra s glass for $4600. I think I'm pulling the trigger on it. Still a little high I think but it's a much better window than the mezzo or pella 250 which were the same cost quotes

You guys think it's a decent deal?

This post was edited by dobbermn on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 13:02

o

Very fair deal for that window.

o

Misspoke.....Imperial not elements. Still a good deal with that glass I'm assuming?

o

Yes...with that glass, that is still a decent deal.

o

Thanks for everyone's help!

o

Keep us posted how it turns out.

o

Sounds solid, that window is a good performer.
... I agree with the thing about all parties being present at the appointment. It is very helpful in most cases in that it prevents miscommunications, allows for more effective and efficient problem solving (finding the right product based on project goals), etc. That said, if it is not feasible it is what it is. The companies that refuse to come out are typically the ultra high-pressure outfits anyway so you are probably better for having moved on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here