Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
litehacker

What blocks light but not wind?

litehacker
9 years ago

I recently moved into an apartment near the beach that has very good wind going through it. Very nice during the summer. Windows are always open. No need for an air conditioner.

At night, the building has bright lights turned on outside that shine through my windows. Not comfortable to sleep through.

I want to buy some kind of blind, shade, or shutter that completely stops the light from getting in at night, but lets the high wind pass through.

Most blinds, horizontal or vertical, would either block the wind, or make annoying flapping sounds while the wind brushes passed.
Shutters would block the wind.

Can anyone think of the product I can get that doesn't have these issues? I'm okay with something not considered "standard" in the west.

Comments (5)

• ibilous
    9 years ago

I think wood blinds on outside or inside window could help. Some models have movable plates.

This post was edited by ibilous on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 11:48

• litehacker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does this go by a particular name? When looking up "wood blind" I get this - https://encrypted.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=wood%20blind&tbs=imgo:1

• ibilous
    9 years ago

Try "window wood shutters" in your search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Shutters

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

"Bermuda shutter" mounting style (hinged at the top) would be very effective especially where sun control all the time is also a consideration.
    Casey

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago