Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (20)

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

If this is true, I hope these homeowners receive justice. This is also another example of why those of us who have been around recommend the products we are familiar with. This will also serve as. Reference for the next person who comes on here and starts arguing that all windows are the same and the lowest price is the best buy because it has a lifetime warranty and they sell it at Orange or Blue.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

Well said John. I am sorry to see any company (more specifically the employees that work for said company) go out of business.

You are 100% correct that we make the recommendations that we make for a reason.

I wish them luck in weathering what will likely prove to be and expensive lawsuit.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

MI is a big enough company to survive this. They will come out a better company more focused on quality design and implementation in the manufacturing process.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

I was on a job yesterday with 19 yr. old MI vinyl. they looked terrible, exterior faded badly, but only a few failed sash plus 2 door panels. I was surprised by that.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

MI should survive simply because there is a huge demand for low quality windows that are used in rental properties.. i guarantee this will still not deter some homeowners from just going with the cheapest window and trying to convince themselves all vinyl windows are equal.
    by the way, MI Windows make certainteed bryn mawr windows as well so be careful out there. there are tons of " jack of all trades" contractors pushingbthese cheap windows just so they have enough money to buy a few cases of beer. we call silverline windows " beer windows " because of the low skilled contractors that use them.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

It's our job to try and educate consumers to the differences between the better brands and the junk. I know full well how frustrating that can be with some people who think you are just trying to sell them a more expensive window so you will ake more money. The truth is, it's easier to make a larger profit margin on cheap windows than it is on the better brands. But, that's OK. I sleep better at night knowing my customers have a quality window and that we did an excellent job installing them.

I have never had a customer tell me 5 years later that they felt the windows we sold them weren't worth paying a little more. I have however, had then tell me stories about how unhappy their friends were with XYZ Windows or XXX Contractor.

• PRO
    11 years ago

+1

It is easy to question a quality window sales model when your competitors in every direction around are selling junk and undercutting you with the price only shopper.

That being said, there is a reason that we choose the windows and the labor force that we do.

What little sleep I do get is not disturbed by any guilt to be certain.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

I'm in Michigan and just considering the window replacement process. We have builder grade windows now (house built in 1999). They have rust between the glass panels, and the 1/2 round upstairs keeps condensation in it. We need colors - DH won't go with white as our house is tans. Have no idea what companies to look at.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

You have one of the best vinyl window manufacturers in Temperance, MI. called Sunrise Windows. I would recommend checking them out. You should also be able to get Softlite/Gorell.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise Windows

• PRO
    11 years ago

+1

Sunrise is right at the top of the 5 best vinyl in my opinion. Can't go wrong there.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Thanks Eco and Windows. I looked at the Sunrise website. Wouldn't mind an estimate from them if we decide to go with vinyl. I've looked through this forum and it seems Marvin Integrity is pretty highly recommended. I'd like to see those too. Would still like to hear from Ribs. Thanks!

• PRO
    11 years ago

If you are looking at fiberglass, I would look into InLine as well.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tip on Inline. Looking at their website. How do you find great installers for these in the area? Any tips on that?

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Give Inline a call and ask for Mark Bartolini. 416-679-1171 xt-261

Tell him John w/EcoStar Remodeling in Virginia told you to call. He should be able to connect you wih an Inline dealer.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Thanks John. I got a quote from a company last night who said they are the exclusive Inline dealer/installer in my area. I left a voicemail for Mark this morning verifying that. I liked the windows he showed us, although I really wanted brushed nickel hardware and the dealer didn't think it was avaiable. We have a Marvin dealer coming next week for an estimate.

• PRO
    11 years ago

I think he is correct on this one.

I think InLine on has the brass option right now.

• jocobe
    11 years ago

There's a large development in Havre de Grace Maryland. A golfing community, that is full of MI leaking windows. It leaks right through the glazing tape. We just caulk where the glass meets the plastic, Andersen calls it a fillet bead.

• jenjtampa
    4 years ago

Don't buy MI WINDOWS you will regret it! We just spent $30k and got their 'sculpted sdl', What they advertised and what we got was completely different. Deceptive Advertising! The grid they did have on the windows was applied at the job site as they 'forgot' to add them on the order. They were applied by a random contracted company with a razor knife and to say they looked shoddy is an understatement. What's even worse is they are completely ghosting us. Customer service DOES NOT EXIST.

• Terence D
    last year

MI windows are junk, be smart and Google their competitors and go with them.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES