Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choices, choices: Loewen, Marvin, Screens and Cladding

Posted by EstimatedEyes (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 11:24

We are choosing VG fir casement windows for the remodel of our 1928 english cottage-style home starting in a week (finally!). (Yes, the existing windows must go due to condition and design changes.) We are leaning towards Loewen, which GC likes, and also considering Marvin, which may be less expensive.

Two sub-issues have come up that I could use some input on: exterior cladding (wood or aluminum) and screens (retractable or removable). Your thoughts and experiences on these issues are appreciated.

All-wood v. Aluminum cladding:
GC strongly urges us to go with all-wood, with no exterior metal cladding. Says cladding never looks better than the day it is installed, is hard to match to exterior paint colors, and the additional maintenance for wood is not a huge issue, and can be handled in connection with other maintenance needs -- i.e., exterior painting -- we have to do anyway. The Loewen rep (and the Marvin guy too) strongly urges us to go with a cladded window due to maintenance, though (to his credit) agrees with GC that wood looks better over the life of the window. Watching the two argue the point was quite entertaining last week. Thoughts?

Retractable v. Removable Screens:
We are going with push out casements for most windows. Thus, screens become an issue since they block the push, not to mention the view. When we looked at the Marvins I liked the utility of their side-mounted retractable screens, and have also looked (on-line) at Phantom's top-mounted prestige series which would also seems to function well for that purpose. GC doesn't like look of retractables and questions their function, and would prefer us to either go with screens mounted in a wood frame that can be swung out or removed when you want to open the window, or just eliminate screens altogether except for those windows where we know we will really use them. Based on utility alone I am going to push for retractables, but first I would like to hear from those who have them re how they look, how they work, and what problems you have encounted with them.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choices, choices: Loewen, Marvin, Screens and Cladding

Looks like you and your GC have a couple of items to work out.

While the aluminum clad window is in no way shape or form a bullet proof material, it is considerable more shielded and less prone to deteriorate as compared to bare wood.

Wood windows require considerably more maintenance and upkeep. No comparison.

A properly clad window will live much longer is only maintained slightly.

If you need wood to the interior, have you considered a fiberglass window? Same construction look to the exterior, available with wood on the inside, and usually a bit cheaper.

I would stay with the factory version of the roll away screen and I think your reasoning on the push out casements is completely correct.

o
RE: Choices, choices: Loewen, Marvin, Screens and Cladding

I'd vote for wood, but I'd probably still procrastinate when it came time to paint them the 2nd time.
I never met a retractable screen I liked. If you're in an area where the wind blows, I say no.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here