Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use new construction windows for replacement windows

Posted by tiger_usa1 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 11:24

It seams like I can get new construction windows from anderson (or other vendors) cheaper than replacement windows. Why?
can we just cut the lip of the new construction window to use it as replacement.
this is a casement window.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I use new construction windows for replacement windows

You can do that in a pinch...we have done it on several jobs where what the customer wanted was not available in a replacement offering. The drawback to it is usually the frame is thicker so you loose more visible glass than you would with a true replacement, and a replacement is designed to fit into the frame of another window and be screwed in place, and the screw holes are pre drilled where that will not do any damage to the hardware of the window, drilling yourself you may hit a locking mechanism or other piece of hardware that would have to be replaced. You should be able to order the new construction window without nailing flanges as in many applications nailing flanges can not be used (ie concrete walls in some ICF houses)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here