Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have lowe3 windows in their home?

Posted by mkotschnig (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 11:15

Hello,

we are looking to replace some windows and a sliding glass door in our home. I just found out that we are required to put in lowe3 windows due to California's Title 24. I know these windows cut out about a third of the light coming in and have a kind of (grayish? greenish?) tint to them.

Do any of you have these in your home? How do you like them? I want to make sure the difference between the new windows and adjacent remaining windows isn't too great.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have lowe3 windows in their home?

With the title 24 requirements there's no reason you should need low-e -3/low-e 366. The most important thing is reaching .32 u factor which is very easy if you have a quality window. It could be easier to meet the cooling requirements with low e 3 glass but it is not required.

But to answer your question Low-E 366 made by cardinal who many manufacturers use has a slight yellow tint to it but it's not very striking or as noticeable as you'd think.

o

Thanks so much, Fenestration_Taylor! I was given the impression we had to use the lowe-3, so I appreciate knowing we might have other options. And, even if we did need to, I won't worry quite so much about how it looks.

o

You were given correct information as 366 is required in all but three coastal zones in the state of California in order to reach the SHGC of .25 or lower. However, check with your local building department to see if they have adopted this. There are also tradeoffs as there are two methods of adoption: performance and prescriptive which I will not go into here.
Get ready as I understand it, California is a testing ground and soon this will roll out across the other forty nine states. This involves a lot more than just windows but takes into account the entire building envelope. The target is a net zero energy use by 2020.

o

You got great advice above.

In conjunction with eastbay10 comments, look carefully at the frame construction and air tightness numbers as well.

o

Like I mentioned, it is not "required" to use 366 but you may need it to reach that shgc. But eastbay made a good point on checking with your local building department.

o

I really appreciate all of you for this information. Boy, I thought I was just going to go out and buy some replacement windows, but there's a LOT that goes into the decision beyond "to muntin or not muntin," isn't there? Many thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here