kiko_gw
9 years ago
last modified: last year

Here is a link that might be useful: Last Thread About Our Windows in 2012

Comments (12)

• kiko_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Exciting: I just figured out who made our windows (not sure it matters but I think it's interesting)

Keyword Searched: hrw

Manufacturer: H-R Windows HRW-1
    Address: 959 Profit Dr.
    City, State Zip Dallas, TX 75247
    Phone / Alt Phone 800-935-9000 /
    Years

I called the phone number and it rings to Atrium Windows and Doors. There website shows they make a Series 300 Single Hung window which is what ours are marked. I wonder if they still make the same windows? This link says it has a 'limited lifetime warranty'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Atrium Series 300 Windows

This post was edited by kiko on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 12:57

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Personally the best thing you can do with that info is loose the information. The next quality product Atrium makes will be the first!!

• kiko_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha ha, yes, it seems that's what I'm finding out from online searches! So I would assume that means that these windows are junk not worth the money to repair the condensation, screens, or cracked glass? How much money do the current windows "cost" us in extra energy? We do have plantation shutters which seem to limit extreme heat/cold. My husband says "nobody ever buys/doesn't buy a house because of the windows" and he doesn't think it's worth it to replace them.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I could not begin to answer the "energy loss" question, but I am certain one of the regulars will be able to help you with somewhat of an answer as far as that goes. As far as "nobody ever buys/doesn't buy a house because of the windows", I don't buy that. It may not be 100% the reason but I think it would influence a knowledgeable buyer more than you think it would.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Lets start with what sort of look do you want from the windows?

Wood...aluminum...fiberglass...vinyl?

What are you replacing currently?

• kiko_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We currently have Atrium's "builder" Series 300 aluminum windows from 1988, double-pane (original manufacturer code HRW-1 which was H-R Windows bought by Atrium). Atrium confirmed that they still make the Series 300 window, but I'm not sure if it's the same window as from 1988. The prior owner had a few of the windows repaired (broken seals). I have had two of them repaired (broken seals) and need to have another 4 repaired (broken seals). We are in Dallas.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

And...you failed to answer the 1 burning question about what do you want the new windows to look and feel like?

• kiko_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, I'm still not sure I'm past the "do we need to repair, replace or ignore our windows" question. Isn't there a little window wizard somewhere "if x then y"? Should I try to quantify "payback" period for new windows? According to this website the average annual expected energy savings is anywhere from $90-$266 a YEAR. That means it would take 73 years to pay for our new $20000 windows. And I think new vinyl windows wouldn't even last 25 years, right? I guess maybe our house would go up in value a little bit too? Or am I just looking at this wrong?

Here is a link that might be useful: Energy Star Savings from New Windows

• eibren
    9 years ago

Unless your budget allows for a $20,000 expenditure, what is the point of worrying about it?

If your windows are doing what you want, repair and replace only as needed, which will be a much more gradual expenditure.

If you do decide to replace, consider your climate in deciding what will last longest, as well as the increasing costs of materials. Also try to find quality at a reasonable price. IMO $1000 for a single window is ridiculously high. Find a company that does not advertise extravagantly and then dump the costs of that on their customers.

Focus on the few windows you actually want to work properly because you actually do open them at times. Opening and closing a window will highlight any faults, whereas a window left permanently closed could last almost indefinitely.

If you have windows that allow leaking into the wall or insects such as mosquitoes to enter, of course those need immediate attention.

Try to keep the windows to match if they are close enough to each other to invite comparison. You should be able to vary them a bit as necessary if on different sides of your home; therefore, if you want to go whole hog split the costs and do one side of the house at a time, unless your source offers a decent quantity discount.

• kiko_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another question, is this "efficient windows evaluator" website really "nonbiased"? It has a "window selection" tool that you can use. According to it, I need to look at:

Window 20
    Triple-glazed, Low-Solar-Gain Low-E Glass, Argon, Non-metal, Improved
    U = â¤0.22
    SHGC = â¤0.25
    VT = â¤0.40

or

Window 17
    Double-glazed, Low-solar-gain Low-E Glass, Argon, Non-metal, Improved
    U = 0.23-0.30
    SHGC = â¤0.25
    VT = 0.41-0.50

Here is a link that might be useful: EfficientWindows.org selection tool

• kiko_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

eibren, thanks. We are trying to decide what project to tackle next: windows, pool/deck remodeling, or new fence/yard remodeling. They'll all probably cost about the same. We would get more enjoyment out of the pool/deck or fence/yard.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County