Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turbo3

Milgard Ultra Quote and things learned

turbo3
12 years ago

I have a quote to install Milgard Ultra (fiberglass) windows. Some example of sizes include:

33x75 double hung (bottom tempered) - $583

58x38 double casement - $726

58x35 sliding - $488

All windows are suncoatmax 1/8 with argon

Installation includes wood casing and trim (pine finger joint, unpainted), and exterior PVC trim.

Installation is $324/window

I decided to go with Milgard over Marvin (Ultrex) since I'm at altitude (Denver) and Milgard windows are sealed there, at altitude, preventing bowing. The lifetime warranty of Milgard also played a big factor. Marvin are sealed at Fargo ~1000ft. and will expand at altitude (> 5000ft). I liked the idea that Marvin have the acrylic cap on the exterior, and the general opinion was they are slightly better quality and have better customer service, but no lifetime warranty. It seems the Marvins are about the same cost as Milgard, maybe a tiny bit more.

The terms were 25% deposit and 75% on shipping (window cost). Labor due at job completion. Windows take about 5 weeks.

I had a quote from Pella which was laughable -- almost twice the cost of my two lowest bids!

I recommend avoiding going through Costco, as they add an absurd fee.

The local dealer with a showroom wanted as much as just for the windows alone as the other contractors charged for the entire job.

It makes sense to go with a contractor that does a lot of business with a particular windows mfg, as they get better pricing. One contractor I spoke with paid much more for the windows than another and couldn't compete.

Make sure your contractor tests for lead paint if your home is

Comments (2)