Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacement or new construction windows?

Posted by sddiy (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 10:01

I am remodeling a bathroom and would like to replace the window. I read that a replacement window would be best. However, I also read that new construction windows are better insulated.

Considering that in a year or two from now I will replace all the windows in the house and the siding, what are my options?

Can I get a new construction window now? What would happen to the siding? I have asbestos siding. I don't care if it looks ugly until the new siding is put in, but I don't want cold air coming in during the winter.

Should I stick to a replacement window? What will happen to it when I do the new siding? Can it get better insulated then?

Should I just keep my old ugly window until I can replace them all and the siding?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacement or new construction windows?

What kind of windows do you have currently...wood, vinyl, metal, etc?

There is nothing about new construction that = better insulation as compared to an insert.

Going new construction will net you a bit more glass and can provide for a more complete and comprehensive installation if done properly.

If you are pulling the siding, that would be the time to undertake the window replacement if you decide to go full new construction and nailing flange.

o

Use the replacement window. A good contractor (specialized window company) will do it right and you will not have to disturb the siding. Most vinyl windows have a nailing flange option for new construction, so the level of insulation will be the same for either one.

o

I disagree VWG.

If he/she is going to do the siding, they should do the project all together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here