Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lastweek

Replacing Larger Picture Windows - Options?

lastweek
13 years ago

I am replacing all 22 windows in my home as part of a larger renovation, and am currently collecting quotes and exploring my options. The most notable factor in my window replacement project is the presence of 6 larger (80"x64") picture windows. Most of these are flanked by at least one casement window as well. I am looking for a narrow frame to both maximize the view out of these windows as well as complement the more modern interior design. The other windows in the house will be replaced with casements.

To recap my discussions with vendors:

Vinyl: very bulky frames at the larger dimensions, and I didn't like the casements in person (Simonton and a local manufacturer whose name escapes me at the moment). It seems the vast majority of the window places near me focus on vinyl, but it just hasn't seemed to be the right fit for the project so far.

Wood/Composite: Told my dimensions couldn't be accommodated (Andersen 400/A-Series). I'm sure there are plenty of vendors out there that can do 80"x64" without a problem.

Fiberglass: Like the look of the product; got quotes for Marvin Infinity and Pella Impervia - both $30K for the 22 windows. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm suffering from a bit of sticker shock from the fiberglass.

I'm located in Ohio. I'm looking for white interior and exterior with no grilles, no frills. Full frame replacements all around. I'm including installation in all my quotes.

Given this, is there a manufacturer that I should consider that does larger windows well with thinner frames? Should I consider sourcing the larger picture windows separately from the rest? I'm not stuck on a particular material as long as they perform well and don't cost more than the Impervia/Infinity quotes I've already received. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths