Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doug_gb

Before you buy an EMCO storm door

doug_gb
12 years ago

I needed to replace a 32" x 78" storm door. I found out that if you need a custom size door, your options are limited. Went to several big box stores and setteled for an EMCO 400 series door. The sales guy at HD said the door was made by Anderson. The cost of this white, wood core, self storing screen, storm door was $425.

I replaced a 10 yr/old Cole-Sewell door (no longer in business). The EMCO finish, the design, etc are far inferior to the other 3 doors on my home.

The most important (and to me the shoodyist item) are the drip cap and side rail design. These rails are so narrow that the screws are only a 1/4" from the edge of the door frame. Also the door is supposed to be spaced 1/4" from the drip cap and the latch rail - this gives about 1/8" of contact to the 'fuzzy gasket' that the door closes on.

I called the EMCO support number - and they assured me this is correct - otherwise the door may not close (due to the air pressure between the storm door and entry door). Even if you want to locate the latch rail closer - you can't because the rail is too narrow - you wouldn't be able to attach it to the frame.

It looks like EMCO spent the money on an overkill, mortised latch, with a locking deadbolt. Obviously the lock is useless. The latch and lock extend about 1/4" into the latch rail.

I can't believe this door will perform well with an 1/8" of the gasket contacting the door - but we will see this winter in Minnesota. I'm just glad it's the lower level back door.

Comments (2)