Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newlifeat50_gw

Replacement windows

newlifeat50
10 years ago

I live in Houston Texas. I got a bid from gulf coast windows to replace 15 windows yesterday. They have 2 levels of windows. The first is a hollow frame composite with argon filled sealed glass from the factory. The rep said it would lose about 1% argon a year average. The rep did not recommend vinyl windows at all hear in the south. The first bid was over 11k and that was for white which I did not want. The darker color window was going to be about $100 more per window which put it at $12,500. Then the rep showed me a new window that was solid composite. This window has no argon gas in it. The rep said it was better than anything out there and that they have been working on the design for years. It has 22 patents on it and is exclusive to gulf coast windows. I must admit it looked very impressive. The tag on it was $16,700 for white and when I said no the rep called Jim the owner of gulf coast and lowered it to $14,700 but now to get a darker color again I'm back up to over $16k. I had three previous bids between 6k and 9k for vinyl. The rep said she use to work Anderson and has top of the line Anderson windows in her home and that these solid composite windows were way better. I never thought I would have to spend 17k for my windows. My house needs a lot of work and just the windows are taking a bigger chunk than I ever thought. Do you know anything about these new windows. Like I said they look impressive and no one else has showed me anything like it. Gulf coast I know is a very reputable company. Is there another composite window I should consider? After talking with the rep from gulf coast I'm afraid to go with any vinyl window. I gave her a deposit yesterday and have three days to change my mind. Thanks for your help

Comments (7)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Get your deposit back post haste. Three days is not enough time to make your decision in my mind on a "new window that was a solid composite" and without more information (and I do not have the time to go the Gulf Coast site at the moment) it is impossible to tell for certain but I do not like the whole deposit before I leave the house, tinman approach to salesmanship. Now it may turn out to be a great product and it may turn out to be a cowpie but without more research I would not give him a dime period!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

I agree.

If you are concerned, I would cancel and re-approach.

There is a great company in Houston and a poster on the forums by the name of Ultra Windows.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

As usual, there's some truth in what you were told but there's plenty of deception as well. The "calling Jim Fume for a lower price" is straight out of Tin Men. You're not buying a bad window, you're just paying way too much for it. Only you can determine whether or not it's worth the price paid, but I wouldn't be rushed into making a decision.

• jewleej
    10 years ago

Live in northern Utah, cold winters and hot summers. We are going to replace 5 windows in our home, with 3 of the windows, large picture windows ranging in 9 ft to 12 ft.

We have 4 bids and trying to figure out the best quality window or what we should consider when choosing the right window.
    The windows that have been quoted to us are:
    Amerimax
    Amsco
    Alside

What is the best quality window? Thanks.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Can you provide some more details?

What are they quoting, what options, installation, etc.

• michaelpearce587
    10 years ago

I agree with the first post. You need to consider various options before making an investment for home improvement. Learn all you can about window styles, prepare a list of questions when you consult the contracting companies about materials, window styles and so on. I used Champion Windows for replacing my windows and am happy with their services. Their rep came home and anwered my list of questions clearly before I did business wih them.

Here is a link that might be useful: champion windows

• PRO
    10 years ago

Interesting first post after you registered to be certain.

Sloped sill or pocket sill on that window?