Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5 ft Slider or 3 ft Patio Door

Posted by peridot44 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 9:05

Hello.

We're getting ready for a kitchen remodel. Our plans currently call for a 5 ft sliding door. But, I'm worried that a 30" leaf may be too narrow.

There's a 6 ft slider (36" leaves) in the family room, beside the kitchen.

Does anyone have thoughts on advantages or disadvantages of a 5 ft slider v. a 3 ft patio door?

And, for the door, is an inswing or outswing more practical? We'll have enough space for an inswing, if that's better.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5 ft Slider or 3 ft Patio Door

Most swing doors on the rear of a house are either 30" or 32" per panel. Most front entry doors are 36". I would go with an Inswing door as long as you have the room. Make sure the door comes with an astragal bolt for greater security.

o

I agree with Eco and the other problem with outswing doors residentially is that screens are not as readily available.

o

The clear opening is small on a 5' slider. I would use inswing if you have the room.

o

Bear in mind that you will have a wider clear opening with the 3-0 door, but two feet less of day light opening. You might also want to consider a 5-0 patio style swinging door, (It is hinged in the center and one panel is fixed and the other swings open and folds against it). They are also called atrium doors (little a) and Verandah doors. It will give you just a few inches more clear opening width than a slider, but offers two panels of glass. These come as inswings only, and generally have a sliding screen that slides from the stationary panel to the operating panel to close.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here