Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growingadvice

can you increase jamb depth on a patio door

L A
10 years ago

I'm getting mine replaced. The construction is 2x4. The current door (22 years old) doesn't have enough depth to inside mount blinds.

Is it possible to increase the room in the door jamb to allow inside blind mount without making the whole thing look goofy?

Has anyone come across this?

while I'm here, what type of blinds would your recommend for a patio door in a house with kids and pets?

thanks.

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Sorry to say no, the entire wall would need to either be reframed or packed in.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1

Not without removing the door.

At that point, it is usually not worth putting the door back in if its 22 years old.

• L A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm having the door replaced anyway, that's what prompted me to post the question.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

You really cannot do that without rebuilding the wall

• L A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you millworman.

• PRO
    10 years ago

In theory, you can pad out the exterior wall and set the door flush to the padded out area.

You need to make sure your water detailing and flashing are spot on as well.

It will look funky from the outside though.

Why not get some blinds internal to the door?

• L A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would like to, but apparently my house was built with whatever was on sale, for this reason I have non-standard door/window sizes, which from what I understand (if anyone knows different, please let me know) I cannot get a patio door with internal blinds in this size: patio door dimensions: 77 1/8 tall by 69 3/4 in wide.

windows, 61 1/2 x 31 1/2

• L A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

as it is, because of those odd measurements, this door is going to cost me a few thousand dollars more than it would otherwise!

• PRO
    10 years ago

It is cheaper, in some cases, to reframe the opening and use a standard sized unit.

If you are close, you can pad in the opening to create a smaller opening size or remove and reinstall framing for the standard sized width/height.

You aren't far off in either direction. Sometimes the openings are framed to standard size and just padded down for what they had available.

Its at least worth pulling the trim and some drywall to see.

• L A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately there is another in the house facing the same side facing the same direction, of the same size . That one is pretty new, so I'd have redo both of them.

• L A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The same size of the house and same Direction I meant

• PRO
    10 years ago

You wouldn't notice from the street in all likelihood.

• Esko
    10 years ago

On the door that you want to increase the jamb width, how much wider does it need to be? Also is it an inswing or outswing door? The reason I ask is if it's 1/2"- 1 1/4" you could add a jamb extension to the interior and depending on the depth back dado your interior trim. I have a client that had this issue and she ended up having to use 2x4 mahogany casing back dado to accommodate a jamb that extended 1 1/4" beyond the Sheetrock. It didn't look bad in her home because she had heavy wood work throughout. May not be ideal for your home but it may be a solution.

The reason I ask if it's inswing or outswing is if the door swings in adding a jamb extension to the interior would limit how far the door can open before it hits the extension.

• L A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Esko, thank you for the response.
    It's an in-swing.
    I do not have heavy woodwork, so it would probably look out of place.

I guess I'll just do do an outside mount on the blinds.

Boy, they things as a homeowner you would never think of looking at until you go through it!