Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone help with a cracked window?

Posted by Aceden (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 7:25

My room is quite large to the point where I have a double bed on side of the room (which I sleep in) and a single bed near the window. As I am on a main road I pretty much always have the windows shut. I woke up one morning and this crack appeared.

I live in England so a pretty moderate climate and don't expect temperature to play a factor. The windows are not near the radiator in the room and I have certainly not made an impact on it.

Despite me telling the landlords months ago they are only just doing something about it now (as we are moving next week) and inevitably they are going to blame and bill this on me.

There is a crack in the wooden frame of the window, which the second and third image highlights. Does this have anything to do with it?

I was wondering if anyone else could explain why this crack has appeared out of nowhere. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Images of window

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone help with a cracked window?

Difficult to say for sure. It could be as simple as the building settling. What year was the building constructed and how old are the windows?

o
RE: Can someone help with a cracked window?

Good morning Aceden,

Could you post a couple more pictures, please?

Pictures looking straight (90 degrees to the face of the glass) at the window centered directly on the crack origin point - right where it comes out of the sash edge.

At least one picture about 5 cm away from the glass and one about 50 cm away.

There are various reasons why glass breaks, thermal breakage being just one of them. My immediate reaction is that your break isn't thermal stress for a couple of different reasons.

You have a very high stress break, so if you can post those additional pictures it might help to determine what happened.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here