Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan707

What created drafty cracks in my window sill?

Ryan707
9 years ago

Hi.. I have moisture drafts coming out of my bedroom window and now my room smells like a damp basement. I've also noticed some cracks in the window sill. I think it may have been one of two things of my own doing but I'm not sure which.

I had brand new windows installed two years ago and neglected to paint the wood window sill. I was told that was important to keep mold out but I didn't paint them.

The main thing I did was try and keep any drafts of tiny air leaks of any kind in my room. (It's a long story but I have dilated heart probs were my heart chambers are very sensitive to deep breaths of fresh air at this point, I wanted to keep the window sealed up so only air from outside the door would waft in). So I tapped up the inside of the window with masking tape...and then put a window insulating film over the window frame to seal it up. That was last November.

Last week the drafts started coming in after a week of heavy rain, even though the plastic film was tape over it the drafts came in anyway. It's like I can't SEE were they're coming in.

My question is: Did this happen because I neglected to paint the interior window sill and then put the seal over it, making the moisture go into the frame/wall? Or would this have happend regardless of painting the window sill....how important is that? And if that is what would make the difference what should I have painted it with to properly seal it?

I still have my heart problems, I still need to sleep and may need to repeat this, but without ruining my other window if possible. The next room has the SAME window installation which is still in mint condition' so any advice on trying it again would be much appreciated.

Post with Photos coming

Comments (6)

• Ryan707
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a photo...

I also meant to ask....was taping both the interior edges of the window (see picture) AND putting the film over the window frame the main that that caused it? Like if I hadn't taped up the interior, trapping the air there, this may not have happened?

Because this couldn't have happened to anyone who's used the insulating film.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Its a Slider window. They are notoriously leaky and if they are poorly made or installed, they let the breeze blow through quite nicely (sarcasm in this part).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

why did you feel you needed to seal the new windows... as you did the old???

ken

• Ryan707
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No I never had to seal the old windows, even if it's a new window there is still SOME air and humidity getting through...as I said in my post my heart makes me more sensitive to changes in the air that most people wouldn't even notice. I wasn't having these probs before the new windows were installed by my condo, having nothing to do with leaks, they were just updating them.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

You may have to get someone to do this for you, but it is an inexpensive test to check windows, electrical outlets etc. The following is a great summary from the web....
    "Although many problem areas are obvious enough, keep in mind that some air leaks are not easily seen. One way to detect these air leaks is to conduct a "smoke test." To do this, you will need to close all the windows and doors in your home and turn off any combustion appliances, such as a furnace or water heater. Next you will need to turn on the kitchen and bathroom exhaust vents, which will create a negative pressure in your house that sucks outside air into your home through any crack or opening.

Now you can check for air leaks by holding a lit incense stick close to the spaces around the edges of your home windows and doors, looking for a noticeable change in the smoke rising from the lit incense stick. If there is a air leak, the smoke will waiver and be drawn inwards by the outside air that is finding its way into your home. If the smoke remains undisturbed, then you can assume that there are no air leaks in that specific area."

Make sure and check your electrical outlets and switches, you may surprise yourself.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

These are great if you don't want to go walking around with the smoke pencil and will be doing it a couple of times.

Post back with what you find and there are several things you can do. Some DIY, some not so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wizard Stick