Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bussymom_gw

Clad malvin windows with simullated devided light

bussymom
11 years ago

Dear Windows experts/any body with personal experiences,

I don't know where to start as we are working on building our future home. After reading the forum, I can't help my self not to post these questions. Our builder recomend us to use pella or marvin " clad windows with simulated devided light" which is $25K-$40K more than the budget ( according to his estimates for white vinnyl single hung and fixed windows with grill between the glass is around $22K.

This is a beautiful home with hight quality in most things in it. But to me, $25K-$40K is a lot and I want make it sure we won't regret spend extra money which we can use for other part in the house.

I do realise windows is one of the most important part of the house as we plan to stay in it for the rest of our life ( cross my fingers ).

Our home is cape code style in SC area, 5 miles from the beach.

Should I go ahead with our builder recomendations? Total of window is 56 of them in varieties size. Will apreciate any recomandations and input.

Sincerely - bussymom

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Clad wood in a coastal environment is a bit of a risk in my opinion.

I would prefer to see a substrate that is altogether unaffected by moisture and salt in this case.

You can get the look of wood and the SDL in a bunch of other formats and that is what I would lean towards.

Fiberglass would be choice number one for me.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

+1

I'd be looking at Marvin or Inline fiberglass windows to be more specific. If you want to reduce the cost, consider having the grids between the glass.