Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pros and cons of floor to ceiling windows

Posted by blackiespot (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 0:35

Hello all, we are in the process of building our new home and need some advice. We are thinking of having 4 panels of floor to ceiling windows in the family room. Before we commit to this decision, I would like to understand from those of you who have floor to ceiling windows, the pros on cons of having such windows. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pros and cons of floor to ceiling windows

Pros - looks, visible light, open atmosphere feel, etc

Cons - safety (i.e. fall through hazard), cost (relative to size), cost of tempered glass.

o

Thank you. I read online that with floor to ceiling windows in the family room (especially south facing ones), the family room could get really hot in the summer and the constant light could result in carpet and furniture fading. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this.

o

If you get windows with low solar gain loW glass,, you should not experience a lot of heat. You could also use triple pane with low solar gain. This type of glass will also block 99% of UV rays.

o

The lower SHGC range glass will cut down on the solar heat as Sky mentioned.

Fading is a function of both UV spectrum and visible light.

Laminated glass or a UV package (either SPF type coating or triple pane) will nearly eliminate the UV spectrum but the amount of visible light will still contribute to some fading.

The lower SHGC range glass will cut down on the solar heat as Sky mentioned.

o

I'll look into the options both of you have suggested. Thank you!

o

You don't say where you are located or which side of the house the panels will be facing. Due to excess summer heat gain, I think I would go with multiple smaller windows that would be easier to dress, ie cover in the heat of summer.

Additionally, any kind of reflective film applied after window installation, will likely void your warranty.

o

chemocurl, the glass being mentioned above is not covered with an aftermarket reflective film but rather is manufactured directly into the glass and does a fantastic job with no worry of voiding any warranties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here