Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollie_z9

Horrible Glare Problem...Great View but...Marvin 366?

hollie_z9
12 years ago

I'm remodeling our beach house in northern California as a permanent residence.

The western view is gorgeous but the glare is so bad I can't even stay in the living room from about 5:30-8:30 PM due to glare off the ocean, the sun itself. I've had guests have to wear sunglasses in our house.

Contractor has me using Marvin 366 glass and the glass guy says it will work. I looked at the samples for days and it did not cut the glare I could see.

There has to be better glare glass that this, does anybody know of a glass that could work? It seems ridiculous to me, as a photographer, that no glass is made like a neutral density filter...basically grey glass that cuts glare.

Any info on shades that really work would be appreciated too. I currently have two layers, one of dark blue mylar, other is the mesh. They don't help the sun glare enough.

I feel like I should be able to see the view at sunset, surely there is some glass or shade that will help with all the new tech advances.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

The Cardinal Low-e 366 glass package does cut down on the glare and will reduce the visible light through that opening.

You can inquire about the availability of the Low-e with a grey tint as well.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw the grey tint sample and the 271 (?) which is lighter. The Marvin rep didn't recommend the grey tint, I guess because it has no more anti-glare than the 366, just bluer. Are you a window rep Washington...is the grey tint more anti-glare?

I guess if there is nothing better than 366 I'll have to go with it.

Why do you call it Cardinal? Marvin in branded on the samples. I did hear about some Cardinal no glare glass, is it Cardinal glass on the Marvin 366 windows?

Thanks

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Marvin uses glass made by Cardinal Glass Company in their windows. I would suggest getting a sample before purchasing anything.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have had samples of 366, 272 and the darker grey tint here for weeks. As I said, by looking through these samples at the sun as it is setting, none of them cut that glare.

The grey tint makes everything bluer...the sand, people, all colors are effected. I would go for it if it cut the sun glare but it doesn't.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I'd take a look at polarized window film. I don't know much about it but it's worth checking out.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    12 years ago

I have had some luck with a combination of solar gray or bronze over low e 272 but to get what you really want or need I would do my own research at sites such as http://www.cardinalcorp.com/products. My customers don't have your problem so I haven't spent a lot of time researching options. Remember that you are probably going to sacrifice the amount of VT or visible light that you are going to get to remove the glare. This will be most notable in the winter months in northern California.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've already checked with Cardinal to see if there is a better glass, they said not.

If I put on any window film it voids the Marvin warranty.

I guess I'd better look to shades in the house (outside is too windy). You are right that in winter there is no glare problem so with shades I could keep them up when I wanted.

Solar shades anyone?

Hollie