Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gatrees

Simonton Reflections 5500 with Low e366

Love Trees
9 years ago

I live in Atlanta and my house faces south where I am changing the windows. Does it make sense to get LoW e 366?.

Also is Simonton Reflections 5500 with 1" super spacer and Double Strength Glass (1/8") double pane glass a good choice ?.

This post was edited by sethramesh on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 23:44

Comments (10)

• Love Trees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgot to add: Low e 366 cost 18$ more per window...

This post was edited by sethramesh on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 23:45

• Love Trees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also the soft-lite elements costs 50% more compared to Reflections 5500. (U$2900 Vs U$4300 for 7 windows). is element worth this much extra?

Thanks

This post was edited by sethramesh on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 23:50

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

The soft lite elements is a better window, there is just no disputing that fact, so it will be more of an investment..
    In your situation, you could consider low E 366.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

The Simonton window will probably serve your purposes just fine and with the Low-e 366.

That being said, that number is crazy low in both cases and had you said you would be getting 7 Elements windows for $4,300...I would say to jump all over it anyway.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

Yes, Low-E366 is advisable in your area and that's a reasonable upgrade price.

The Soft-lite Elements window is heads and shoulders above the Simonton 5500 in build quality and performance. The 5500 is an old design that needs upgrading. If you decided to go with it I'd upgrade to the optional sash reinforcement for your climate. By the time you add all of the things that a decent vinyl window should have, you'll be closer to the price of the Elements.

As to whether or not it's worth 50% more, only you can answer that question, but I'd consider the general rule that higher performance windows are typically sold by more quality oriented contractors while mid-grade windows are typically sold by contractors with the "good enough" mentality. Again, this is a general rule and not an absolute.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

"Ultrawindows" nailed it. Cant get a better explanation than that.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

+1 to the great advice above. I strongly favor the Elements and that is a bit lower than I typically see it being sold.

• Love Trees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you all so much. I am inclining towards the soft-lite element. The Soft-lite is NOT Low e 336 but with the following spec: Is this is better than Low e 366? or should i ask for Low e 366?

SB70XL (Solar Low-E) with argon and Super Spacer.
    U-Factor 0.26, Solar Heat Gain .20.
    Glass thickness is 7/8" with double strength glass package.

Just want to be sure if this the element.

This post was edited by sethramesh on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 18:44

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

PPG's Solarban 70XL is roughly equivalent to Cardinal's Low-E366, no worries there. Both are good packages for your climate.

• Love Trees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the clarification