Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needing a good sliding patio door...

Posted by KCRemodeler (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 22:53

Looking to buy a standard sliding patio door....quotes from Milgard, Window World, and Pella for vinyl sliders. See Lowes has ThermaStar Pella slider for reasonable price. Reviews on the ThermaStar are NOT GOOD. I'm confused...what do I need to look for in finding a good patio door? Not very excited to spend $2k for a patio door...whats are good price for value options to look at?

I've had a bad sliding door in my last house (not sure of brand, builder grade something) and so I know the woes...but I also am not bothered with the aesthetics of white vinyl so I don't need to pay for high end looks....I really just need good efficiency and long lasting mechanics!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needing a good sliding patio door...

Looks are not what makes a door high end. It's items like the structural componenets of the door. Is it just hollow core or is it fiberglass re-inforced? Does the threshold drain water through the frame or is it solid. Does it use a single point locking system or is it multi-point? How many stips of insulation does it use, cheap doors may only use one or 2. Better doors will use 4. Does it use heavy duty steel ball bearing rollers or are they cheap plastic. Is the screen top hung or does it roll on a floor track? As with anything else, you will get what you pay for. A $1.99 widget doesn't become a $6.00 widget just because it has pin stripes.

If you want a good quality door that will last, it will cost you more. The 2 best doors on the market today IMO are Sunrise, Soft-lite and Provia.

o

If you are looking at Sliding Doors, I personally think that the Sunrise and Okna sliding glass doors are the two best on the market.

Sunrise has a ton of options available and the Okna is a brand new design with the lowest air infiltration that I have seen in addition to a high DP (DP-60), 4 mil thick glass, and a full integrated aluminum sill.

o

Andersen Permashield Patio Door. I've installed hundreds and they are extremely reliable. Parts are always available. I never have callbacks.

I have a picture where a river overflowed and the water line is half way up the door.....minimal leakage.

o
Door

Here it is....

Here is a link that might be useful: Door under water

o

That's a great picture.

o

That is pretty crazy. The house is otherwise ruined but that is a great picture.

o

I'm on the gulf coast, central fl, and also need two units...8x8'. Looked at the gorell 4200 and the simington.
anyone have suggestions...tks...RC

o

Both make solid products and are good companies.

o

Andersen Permashield with "SmartSun" (cardinal 366 glass) without a doubt.

I just replaced 3 thermatrus with the Permashield and it is a quality door. Much better value than Andersens 400 or A series Gliders.

Buy them at Home Depot but DO NOT LET A HD installer put them in!

The Permashield lets in a lot of sun and is built like a tank.....Their PS 51168 door weighs over 250lbs!!!!

Good luck and stay away from Pella's crazy engineering on their Impervia(screen on the inside lets bugs in).

Andersen with Cardinal 366 glass (Smart Sun) is a winner!!!!!!

o

It is funny how RBA people trash vinyl, and don't disclose that their product is mostly vinyl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here