Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing bow window with patio door

Posted by jams (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 22:45

I was wondering if I could replace this bow window with some form of patio door. The windows themselves do not go all the way to the floor, but the walls continue in the bow shape. If it can be replaced by a door, would I lose out on the extra floor space or could they follow the existing footprint. It spans about 8' so could I angle two windows beside let's say a 5' or 6' sliding patio door in the middle. Also I love the look of French doors, but all the pictures I've seen, open inwards, can they open out wards? Any other suggestions or pictures. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing bow window with patio door

Not going to get a patio door curved (bowed) to fit the footprint you currently have without spending enough money to solve the national debt (only half kidding).

o

+1

That is not a cheap or simple undertaking.

I would probably be cheaper to cut an opening for a door in an adjacent wall that is straight (or at least intended to be straight...there isn't much straight in homes anymore).

o

Agreed. Not happening :(

o

Thanks for the advice. just to confirm, it's not possible to make the 2 middle window panels open as a door by eliminating the curve? Ie just make it straight across?

o

Negatory.

That is a singular unit and cutting into should not be attempted unless you have a guy with some serious carpentry skills.

o

+1. ... I suppose you could by " eliminating the curve" , however the whole wall is curved. That would take some significant reframing of that entire wall area. Most companies won't touch it, and those that would will charge handsomely. Anything CAN be done...at a price.

o

And being an exterior wall reframing will include some foundation work, ceiling joists and the roof as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here