Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorilee30

Adding Windows

lorilee30
9 years ago

I wanted to see if anyone knew if windows can be put in where there is the arched cutouts(not sure what they are called) on the exterior of the house.

and how much it might cost?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Without knowing how the house is framed it is impossible to tell for certain. Looks to be brick siding, correct? Real brick or brick veneer? On that note anything CAN be done it just becomes whether or not it is economically feasible to do it. As far as price, completely out of the question without knowing a hell of a lot more about the house, windows, area, etc......

• lorilee30
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi. Yes it is brick. I am pretty sure it is real brick. It was built in 1974.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Still no where near enough information to venture a guess.

This post was edited by millworkman on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:40

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

+1

1974 could easily be a brick veneer still.

Pop open a hole in the drywall and post up a picture.

• lorilee30
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pop a hole in drywall?
    What do you need to know about house?
    We don't live there yet. We re buying it.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Structure of the wall.

• lorilee30
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My husband says its brick, not veneer. But not sure what the white cutouts are made of.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Unfortunately without knowing the wall construction at the "white cutouts" it would be impossible for anyone to offer any correct info. What type of windows? What would they be made of? What area of the country?

• lorilee30
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in Ohio. Probably just fixed windows made of glass.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

"fixed windows made of glass", really? And you expect help?

• lorilee30
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you mean? :(
    Sorry I dont know a lot about windows!
    Wow! You're rude! Thanks for your help!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Wood windows, vinyl windows, 1 unit, multiple units per opening, rectangular, square, round tops (like the panel that is there)? What do you want these windows to look like? I don't mean to come across as rude, but we/I have asked multiple questions and getting answers one at a time and it seems like pulling teeth to get the answers I am getting. You need to help me help you!

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

A little help, but not much⦠If you fill those spaces with windows or glass, they will have to be round top. Every time I have purchased a round top window I have said "I can't believe how much that costs". The price of a round top eliminates them in a lot of designs. Also, you have "areas" that border the garage and one at the front of the house? Are you planning on doing all of these? You might consider doing just the ones that would benefit from a window.

This post was edited by lkbum on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 20:32

• lorilee30
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking of doing all three. I think it would look better with windows. I would want the window to fill the whole space, something like in the bottom left corner of this picture minus the grids. Vinyl windows.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Good quality vinyl without installation is probably $3500 for each opening and depending on your wall conditions $15-2500 for installation.

This post was edited by millworkman on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 10:24