Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smitjere

Need help on window decision for new build.

smitjere
14 years ago

I have received the following from our General regarding windows in our new home. I have heard good things about Milgards, but not familiar with the rest. $6500 was budgeted, so with each we are over budget already. The house has 62 windows and is located in Idaho...so more cold days than hot. I sincerely would love to hear the opinions on this board regarding the selections below. Thanks.

Mid Line Cascades- $7010

Mid. Atriums-$9191

400 Series PlyGems- $7950

High End Milgards- $10,898

Comments (4)

• mydreamhome
    14 years ago

I'm working on the same thing right now--windows. I've heard of Milgard and Atriums, but not the others. Definitely do an 'entire site' search on GW for those window brands. Then,you really need to go see these windows in person in a showroom. You don't even have to know anything about windows per se, because you will get an education once you get there from the salesman. You can't always tell a good quality window just by looking at it, but you will definitely be able to spot the lesser quality ones.

You state you've got 62 windows in your house...we've got 36 and our quotes are MUCH higher (lowest is $28K). You mentioned Milgards were high end that were quoted @ $10K. I find it very difficult to believe $6500 is going to pay for 62 quality windows (that's about $100 per window). Are these windows "builder grade"? If so, google or search this site for more information on "builders grade" products in general and what you'll find is that "builders grade" is often code for sub par quality at a bargain price.

Bottom line...you are the one who will be paying for & living in the house for the foreseeable future, not the builder. Its up to you to ensure you are getting quality products put into the building of your home. During this process, you're in it for a home to make memories in with your family & friends. Your builder is in it to make money.

If you check the windows out in person and like what you hear and see after comparing with other companies' windows, then go for it. If not, then keep looking until you find it. As many a member has posted, windows and their installation are not areas to skimp on during the building process.

Good luck to you.

• smitjere
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A sincere "thank you" mydreamhome. I thought it seemed low. I'll be asking my GC about showrooms.

• ibwindows
    14 years ago

You are opperating at the very bottom end of windows. If you must get as close as possible to the budget numbers here is what you need to do.

Get the installation instructions and make sure they are followed to the letter and pick the window with the best warrenty.

Your ultimate goal is to prolong replacing them for as long as possible....anything over 5 years in that price range and you are doing good.

• mydreamhome
    14 years ago

smitjere--
    You can easily find showrooms by going on the window manufacturers' website and clicking on 'Locate a Dealer'. Once you enter your zip the site will pull up all dealers in your area (usually builder supply stores). Then give those dealers a call and verify they have samples for you to see, touch and try out. Many showrooms will have multiple manufacturers' windows as well as the different lines for each. So you can get a good feel for multiple lines and manufacturers in just 1 or 2 stops. Plan to spend at least an hour in each showroom between looking at the different windows and learning about them from the salesmen.

ibwindows is right as well--make sure you read the install instructions and ensure that they are followed to the letter by the installers. Don't let the installers tell you that they know better than the manufacturer on how to install the windows or 'that's how we've always done it'. Making sure you have a good warranty is important as well, but know that if the window is not installed exactly as the instructions state, then your warranty is null & void and will not be honored. Improper installation can be as simple as using an 'X' cut in the wrap vs. an 'inverted Y' cut, so be VERY vigilant during install.

Do you have a photo, rendering or web link of the house you're planning to build? It sounds beautiful with all those windows! Would love to see it.

Let us know how it goes & what you decide!