Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on installing garden window in masonry wall

Posted by psu67 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 11, 09 at 21:54

I'm a DIYer but not sure if I should tackle this job. As part of a kitchen remodel I want to install a garden window in an existing windowless wall. The wall is block construction with brick veneer. On the interior, dry wall is fastened over ferring strips attached to the block. How difficult is the task of cutting through the masonry to create the rough opening? Can I use a masonry blade on a circular saw, or do I have to rent a gas-powered behemoth? Should I frame out the rough opening in any way? I know if I want to preserve the 3 or 4 rows of bricks above the window, I will need to install an angle iron header. How difficult is that? Above these few rows of bricks there is an existing header of sistered 2x8s on a 2x plate supporting the "stick"-built, siding-covered wall rising to the roof peak at this one end of the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here