Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Installation Questions

Posted by rdonchez (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:49

I am obtaining quotes for replacement windows in my home. Today I received a quote and when I asked the installer if they used spray foam - he said no which I found odd. Is spray the preferred insulation for new windows? Should I insist on spray foam?

Second, I have a brick home with an exposed steel lintel over the windows. Should the lintel be covered during the install with capping or left exposed? I've had various answers from installers.

Lastly, is there any preference or advantages to pvc coated coil for capping versus just painted or aluminum coil?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Installation Questions

Insulating the cavity around the window with minimal expanding foam is the best method of installation as it creates an airtight barrier when applied properly. Insisting that a contractor use it, when he doesn't regularly do so could be dangerous however. Improperly applied, it could void the window manufacturers warranty and can bow the windows.

The steel lintel should be left uncovered.

o

+1

I agree 100% with Ultra Windows.

o

Thanks. I was somewhat suprised when the installer just summarily dismissed using spray foam - almost sounded like it wasnt worth the hassle to them. He said if its insisted on they would probably charge extra per window.

o

The lintel is left uncivered. Spray foam is a bit more expensive than fiberglass hence the upcharge. However, he doesnt seem as if he uses foam which is why he doesnt want to use it. There is somewhat of a learning curve.

o

One more follow-up question. One installer says they use PVC Trim Coil for the capping while others just use regular aluminum coil for the capping. Is there any difference or is one preferred? My house is brick with steel lintels above the window if that is relevant. Thanks.

o

Six of one, half dozen of the other. No difference, just personal preference.

o

+1

We like the non-PVC for better scratch resistance but it is most personal preference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here