Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willinak

Marvin Ultrex Window Painting?

willinak
13 years ago

I'm not sure how well the outside (sash) of a Marvin Ultrex window will take to paint.

We are in a condo with a given color for the exterior sash and trim. Marvin offers a limited color selection, and none are close to the dark red that is required, how well a paint would adhere is a big question mark for me. Can't seem to find any online information on the subject. Any experience here?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

Best bet would be to call Marvin and see if they have a painting protocol documented.

Tecton manufactures the pultrusions for Marvin so you can call them direct.

I think what you will find is that there is minimal prep. Make sure the surface is clean of any oils or debris and a good exterior latex will likely do the trick.

• willinak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The only piece of information I could find on the web referred to snading with 100-150 grit paper, but I think that was for older installations.
    That said, if it was required to sand, that might be a deal breaker, as that alone would likely raise the overall cost by $100/window.

• afsa
    13 years ago

pretty much any type of vinyl or composite window that allows paint the surface will require sanding to break and scuff the surface for the paint to adhere to the surface better. But as windows said calling Marvin or Techton is the best thing to do.

• willinak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wouldn't it be nice if they offered a paintable primed surface, which you know they do anyway to get their production paint to adhere. Dream on!

• afsa
    13 years ago

The Integrity product are not painted, the color is in the product when it is made so it is throughout the pultrex.

• willinak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

From Marvin himself:
    "Finish Options:
    Patented finishing process yields a finish 3 times thicker than competitive finishes to resist scratching and marring, while 5 times the UV resistance protects against the fading, chalking, streaking and cracking common to vinyl windows."

What does that mean?

• afsa
    13 years ago

My bad, i was mistaken and spoke to quickly, and the quote below is directly from the catalog!

"The finish is not painted, but rather a robust acrylic cap that encases the fiberglass substrate, protecting it from an on slot of environmental and daily life hazards that it will encounter throughout its lifetime."

• willinak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, you found more than I did. They didn't say "clad", but it kind of infers that, doesn't it!

Help! We need a Marvin rep on this forum! :-)

• afsa
    13 years ago

I have sold some Integrity, (sold mostly Marvin in a high end home region) and they are definitely not clad they are solid Pultrex.

• swesna
    13 years ago

I like the deal breaker of adding $100 per window to sand...how is that calculated.

I installed an integrity in my bathroom. It is a great window and you should be able to prime and paint with minimal prep. The surface is not so smooth and would should hold the paint without sanding. One of the benefits of these windows is that they are easy to paint.

• mtow
    13 years ago

Advice: Once you paint you probably will be painting again and again!
    Take the factory finish or move onÂ

• willinak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Advice: Once you paint you probably will be painting again and again!
    Take the factory finish or move on "

Good advice, EXCEPT for the fact that this is a condo. As such, has to match existing color scheme. The HOA refuses to replace my leaky windows, so I'm going it alone.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths