Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marvin Ultrex Window Painting?

Posted by willinak (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 17, 10 at 21:20

I'm not sure how well the outside (sash) of a Marvin Ultrex window will take to paint.
We are in a condo with a given color for the exterior sash and trim. Marvin offers a limited color selection, and none are close to the dark red that is required, how well a paint would adhere is a big question mark for me. Can't seem to find any online information on the subject. Any experience here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marvin Ultrex Window Painting?

Best bet would be to call Marvin and see if they have a painting protocol documented.

Tecton manufactures the pultrusions for Marvin so you can call them direct.

I think what you will find is that there is minimal prep. Make sure the surface is clean of any oils or debris and a good exterior latex will likely do the trick.

o

The only piece of information I could find on the web referred to snading with 100-150 grit paper, but I think that was for older installations.
That said, if it was required to sand, that might be a deal breaker, as that alone would likely raise the overall cost by $100/window.

o

pretty much any type of vinyl or composite window that allows paint the surface will require sanding to break and scuff the surface for the paint to adhere to the surface better. But as windows said calling Marvin or Techton is the best thing to do.

o

Wouldn't it be nice if they offered a paintable primed surface, which you know they do anyway to get their production paint to adhere. Dream on!

o

The Integrity product are not painted, the color is in the product when it is made so it is throughout the pultrex.

o

From Marvin himself:
"Finish Options:
Patented finishing process yields a finish 3 times thicker than competitive finishes to resist scratching and marring, while 5 times the UV resistance protects against the fading, chalking, streaking and cracking common to vinyl windows."

What does that mean?

o

My bad, i was mistaken and spoke to quickly, and the quote below is directly from the catalog!

"The finish is not painted, but rather a robust acrylic cap that encases the fiberglass substrate, protecting it from an on slot of environmental and daily life hazards that it will encounter throughout its lifetime."

o

Well, you found more than I did. They didn't say "clad", but it kind of infers that, doesn't it!

Help! We need a Marvin rep on this forum! :-)

o

I have sold some Integrity, (sold mostly Marvin in a high end home region) and they are definitely not clad they are solid Pultrex.

o

I like the deal breaker of adding $100 per window to sand...how is that calculated.

I installed an integrity in my bathroom. It is a great window and you should be able to prime and paint with minimal prep. The surface is not so smooth and would should hold the paint without sanding. One of the benefits of these windows is that they are easy to paint.

o

Advice: Once you paint you probably will be painting again and again!
Take the factory finish or move on

o

"Advice: Once you paint you probably will be painting again and again!
Take the factory finish or move on "

Good advice, EXCEPT for the fact that this is a condo. As such, has to match existing color scheme. The HOA refuses to replace my leaky windows, so I'm going it alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here