Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for storms / screens on 1920's house?

Posted by lsoh (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 21:09

I have a 1920's bungalow. The windows are considered part of the architecture and I have been advised not to replace them. The windows swing in like french doors. The problem is the storms and screens. The screens are installed for the summer, storm windows for the winter. Each storm or screen hangs from two exterior hooks and then it's pulled in and tighten with an eye hook at the bottom. Problems include 1) It's difficult to install or remove the storms because they are so heavy and you must hold them out the window and blindly catch the exterior hooks along the top. 2) In the summer, must either commit to all air conditioning or all window ventilation as the interior windows aren't all that tight. So removing the storms and running the air isn't very efficient. 3) After 80+ years, only 4 screens remain usable 4) Neither the screens or storm windows fit tightly anymore. Long story, but a contractor altered the exterior and so they aren't very snug. For the screens, that means a bug problem. For the storms, it means they aren't very efficient.

I don't really expect to find a solution that fixes item #2 above without replacing the original windows.

Cost is an issue. But so is appearance, effectiveness, and ease of use. There are 17 effected windows.
What would you suggest?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for storms / screens on 1920's house?

Hi,
We installed wood screens and storms on a ca. 1800 house two summers ago. The windows were extremely out of square so an inordinate amount of time was required to fit them and do frame repairs as I went along. I think they cost around $350 per opening for both, and installation and painting was additional.
They were made in 1" mahogany, BTW.
I'm guessing that your windows aren't 1 1/2" out of square.
With the windows you have left, it would be possible to have them modified (or remade) so that the frame always stayed in place and sub-frames with glass or screen were interchangeable from inside. Usually (with double hungs) the upper half is fixed glass and the lower half is the removable type.
The loose-fitting ones could be remedied with some type of applied weatherstripping?
Casey

o
RE: Ideas for storms / screens on 1920's house?

Check out the offerings from allied windows. They seem to have nice storm windows for any application and from what I have seen their quality is excellent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here