Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsoh_ohzone5

Ideas for storms / screens on 1920's house?

lsoh
13 years ago

I have a 1920's bungalow. The windows are considered part of the architecture and I have been advised not to replace them. The windows swing in like french doors. The problem is the storms and screens. The screens are installed for the summer, storm windows for the winter. Each storm or screen hangs from two exterior hooks and then it's pulled in and tighten with an eye hook at the bottom. Problems include 1) It's difficult to install or remove the storms because they are so heavy and you must hold them out the window and blindly catch the exterior hooks along the top. 2) In the summer, must either commit to all air conditioning or all window ventilation as the interior windows aren't all that tight. So removing the storms and running the air isn't very efficient. 3) After 80+ years, only 4 screens remain usable 4) Neither the screens or storm windows fit tightly anymore. Long story, but a contractor altered the exterior and so they aren't very snug. For the screens, that means a bug problem. For the storms, it means they aren't very efficient.

I don't really expect to find a solution that fixes item #2 above without replacing the original windows.

Cost is an issue. But so is appearance, effectiveness, and ease of use. There are 17 effected windows.

What would you suggest?

Thanks.

Comments (2)