Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lwerner_gw

Online sources for window prices?

lwerner
11 years ago

Can anyone recommend a source for getting approximate window prices online? I have completed house plans from my architect, and I'm now trying to get rough materials cost estimates various pieces of the project (windows, flooring, appliances, cabinets, ...). I don't need detailed numbers at the moment (that's the contractor's job). I'm just trying to do my homework and figure out the rough allocation of money across different parts of the house, so I can get an idea of where I can insist on top quality and where I'll need to compromise.

For windows, I'm leaning toward the high end. Of the ones I've seen so far, the Marvin Ultimate line appeals to the most. That's mostly because I'm going to have a lot of natural wood on the inside of the house -- cabinets, flooring, shelving units -- and want to have the interior window trim match as closely as possible. But I know that line is near the high end in terms of price too, so I want to get an idea of how the prices for different brands compare. Others I've looked at are the Andersen Woodmark and Milgard WoodClad. The Andersens seem pretty nice (though not a very wide range of woods), while the Milgards seem to have a very thin wood veneer.

Anyway, any suggestions for online pricing information? I have the detailed window schedule from my architect, so ideally I'd love to find a web page where I can enter window sizes and get approximate prices.

Thanks!

Laura

Comments (4)

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Laura, their are resources like that out there for vinyl replacement windows, however wood windows are an entirely different beast. There are just far too many things that go into quoting a wood window job for such a system to exist. Wood windows installed can range anywhere from $700 to $2k+. If you'd provide your sizes, options, etc, we can probably narrow that range down a bit.
    On product selection, the Marvin Ultimate is extraordinary as wood windows go and would be at the top of my list, but the price will be premium as well.

• lwerner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, HomeSealed.

That makes sense. I was at a building supply place this afternoon looking at Anderson and Marvin windows, and the variety of styles, trims, woods, screens, sills, hardware, etc. was pretty overwhelming. They offered to do some quotes for me, but I didn't want to take too much of their time until I'm sure where I'll be buying the windows. That in turn depends on which contractor I hire, which is probably a couple of weeks away. But maybe I'll take the window guys up on their offer anyway.

Laura

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

Your architect should have contacts to Marvin. The Marvin rep should be able to provide "budget" numbers. The reps actually like this as it enables them to stay on top of potential projects and hand feed them to their better accounts (the lumber yard or window dealer). It is also a service for the architectural community and they are a life blood for Marvin.

Depending on how busy the lumber yard is, you may not get the best response as the "homeowner" shopping the windows and doors. The local Marvin rep can many times see things that don't make sense and offer suggestions to your architect. I think this would be the best approach. There may be geographical differences to doing it this way so look out for that.

• lwerner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks; that's a great idea. I'll ask my architect, and maybe the contractor who's bidding on my project who first mentioned Marvin and the building supply place I visited yesterday.

From your username "eastbay10", are you in the east SF bay area? If so, geographical differences probably aren't an issue, because I'm down in the South Bay. The project I'm about to have done is a big remodel of a 65-year-old house in Mountain View.

Laura