Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwhite010

Andersen vs. Pella

jwhite010
14 years ago

My builder is on my a** to use pella over andersen in my new construction. I chose andersen because the options i want are standard w' andersen and upgrades w' pella (ie: color, grill patterns, transom styles etc). Is there some motivation for my builder to push pella. Does he get some kind of perk with pella if he meets a quota or is he just one of those know it all contractors that don't think i can make the decision on my own.

Comments (3)

• kimberlysaint
    14 years ago

I don't know if builders get a perk to use Pella or not but I definitely would not use Pella again if I could go back. Our builder did not choose Pella for us, we did, and it has been a hugely expensive mistake. We have impact/insulshield windows....A LOT of them and have had many problems, mostly leaking and not due to installation but due to manufacturers defect. Even with the problems acknowledged we have been dealing with these issues for over one year. Our builder is a very reputable and highly respected builder for our area and they are having trouble with customer service from Pella, I can only imagine that as homeowners it would be even worse.

• cityscape23
    14 years ago

Don't get Pella! I have a 40 year old home with Pella windows and they are not making ANY of the windows in my home any more. Therefore no repairs or replacement parts of any kind are available. If Andersen guarantees their windows for life, I wish the original homeowners had purchased those. We're looking at a $20,000 expense. The $1,500 credit is nice, but kind of like dental insurance -- doesn't make much difference if you need much work done. If I'd known this when we got the house it would have factored a lot.

• galefarm
    14 years ago

Cityscape, you complain that Pella is not making a 40 year old window design anymore, but would you buy a car based on technology from 40 years ago, or would you buy a computer based on technology from even 5 years ago...I don't think so, and I would venture to say there is any window manufacturer out there that is making a window based on a 40 year old design, nor would I venture to say there are many window manufactures out there stocking a large variety of parts from 40 years ago, most parts available would be aftermarket parts. Andersen does not guarantee their windows for life either. This is one thing a home inspection should pick up the energy inefficiency of the windows in the house, just like they pick up on the fact a roof needs some attention. I would venture to say your 40 year old windows are single pane probably with a storm sash over them, as opposed to Low E Argon filled double pane windows today. Get a grip, go to Chevy and see if you can buy original parts for a 40 year old car...you would probably have to shop aftermarket, or junkyards for those too