Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedmac

Replace Acrylic skylight with Velux? Worth it?

Hi all,

I'm posting this question as a new thread but it's related to an earlier question about skylight shades - hope that's okay since it's really a different issue in a way.

SO the question is: given that my acrylic skylight is giving off a lot of heat into my converted garage workspace, is it worth replacing it? I just got an estimate from a local company - $550 labor and $225 for a Velux fixed glass skylight, which they said blocks 99% of UV. It feels like a lot of money and I'm not sure I can swing it right now, so I'm wondering if anyone can speak to how much of a difference the Velux would make. Any experience with the two kinds?

I'm in SoCal and it's getting hot....;)

Thanks much for any advice!!

Comments (6)

• ksc36
    9 years ago

It might be worth it if you can get the 30% tax credit and a $200 rebate.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/with-velux-solar-powered-fresh-air-skylights-more-costs-less-263819471.html

Here is a link that might be useful: credit/rebate

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    9 years ago

Don't confuse UV with heat. Two different elements of your problem. UV is what causes the fading of your floors, furniture etc. Code in California requires the inner layer of a skylight to be laminated which is giving you the UV protection. 99% is a bit of an over statement but that is another discussion.If you are mainly trying to control the heat, I would order both Low e 366 and the shade if that is necessary. Because your dome sits on a curb, you could also replace it with a flat glass skylight (non Velux) which may save on the labor.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

+1

Be sure to spec the skylight with Low-e 366.

The solar shade option is a nice feature. If you go solar, you get the credit as mentioned above but you will pay for it.

The manual shade is much cheaper.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

based on what my local skylight company quoted - something like $1500 or $1800? i can't remember - the tax credit and rebate still don't make it quite affordable...

i guess the question is: would there really be a noticeable difference between the low-e and the acrylic - significant enough to make a replacement of a new skylight worthwhile for the first price quoted? i know that's a subjective question since $800 means different things to different people - but i guess another way to ask the question is: do you really believe in the low-e glass and think i'll really feel the difference?

i should say that said skylight is in my studio workspace/converted 2 car garage which i work in every day - the ceiling isn't insulated and it has a metal garage door so i'm battling a lot of heat sources....and it's hard to tell how much of it is coming from the skylight per se - but it's one thing i can change so wondering if it's a good idea....

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    9 years ago

I am not quite sure how you jumped from $775 ( 550 + 225 see above) to $1500 - $1800 but to answer your question: How insulated is the converted garage? If not at all, it isn't worth it. If it is and the skylight get a lot of south/west sun, it is but probably not for the latter dolllars that you have been quoted. It will have to be your choice as none of us have seen or experienced it.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry i was unclear - the big number was for the solar powered skylight with the rebate program, per the suggestion of ksc1. i looked at the velux program and it was $1300 even after the $500 rebate or something.

the flat regular skylight replacement was $800 total according to my local skylight company. (also listed as a velux dealer)

the garage isn't insulated - it's drywall on top of studs with new stucco on the outside and a new layer on the roof. - but then my house isn't insulated either ha. common here in old southern california bungalows i guess.

you're right that it's a specific house with specific conditions - guess i was trying to see if folks thought there was a real experiential difference in heat gain (not just uv) between the two....

perhaps the answer is yes, but maybe unclear if it's worth doing.