Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiberglass entry doors in central Florida, Plastpro or Therma Tru

Posted by hdclown (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 18:50

I'm looking to replace a 2/0x6/8 exterior door in my bathroom and a 2/8x6/8 door on the side of my garage, both outswing, and I'm also considering replacing my 3/0x6/8 inswing front entry door. I'm in Central, FL.

I've talked with a few local major window and door dealers and all of them are recommending Plastpro with ODL glass inserts and I'll be supplying my own existing lock hardware. I'm also considering multi-point lock upgrade on front door (maybe the other doors too), for which Trilennium seems to be what is being recommended.

Most of the dealers also sell Therma Tru, but again, they all seem to recommend going with Plastpro. I have not inquired why, but I will. One dealer also sells Provia, but I know this is quite a bit more expensive, and I'm not sure if it would be worth it. I'm planning to be in this house another 15 years, so I'm not looking to cheap out, but I don't need to spend money unnecessarily either.

Front door would be no glass, 4 or 6 panel, no sidelite or transom and it's going to be painted. I'm not concerned with heavy wood grains (I'm fine with 100% smooth to be honest). Garage side door will probably be flush, maybe or 4 or 6 panel, and bathroom door would be same setup but with half lite vent or glass with blinds.

So, in summary, I'm going pretty basic on the design/look of the door, it's all about getting a good reliable door for me. Is Plastpro (being recommended) good or should I really go with Therma Tru? Would spending the extra money on Provia actually be worth the investment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiberglass entry doors in central Florida, Plastpro or Therma

My opinion Therma Tru would be the lowest I would go on the food chain. I would seriously consider Provia at the very least for your front door.

o
RE: Fiberglass entry doors in central Florida, Plastpro or Therma

Provia, in all of my experiences, has been superior to ThermaTru.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here