Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fresnoboy

Retrofitting screens on Tilt and Turn windows

fresnoboy
10 years ago

Hi. We are seriously considering buying a home that is very nice in almost every way (and energy efficient too), but there is one showstopper for my wife - the Italian tilt and turn windows on the home have no insect screens.

There appears to be no track for installing screens in these particular (Panto) windows. And to compound the difficulty, the bedrooms all have windows that are not rectangular. They look something like the RDLSDR and RDLDR windows drawn here: http://imperialwindowsanddoors.com/production/tilt-and-turn-windows.html

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to retrofit screens on windows like these?

Thanks!
Mike

Comments (18)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

A good glass shop or window dealer can get them for you no issues. Will not be cheap but not tough at all and they should be able to help you with attachment as well.

• fresnoboy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Really? I have talked with a couple dealers to no avail (they were stumped by the shape or offered some cheap magnetically attached screens) , but probably not the right ones... How would I go about finding the right dealer?

Does Panto make screens that attach and look reasonably well, or will this have to be fabricated locally?

Would you have to construct a new frame around the exterior of the window? I have seen designs that use clips that you twist the screen to lock, but I think that makes this very expensive window look cheap.

Thanks so much for following up - I have never dealt with tilt and turn windows before.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Post up a picture if you can.

Millworkman is 100% correct that a good glass shop can make them and their should be some sort of accessory track to attach the screen to the exterior.

Have you checked the attic for the screens?

They should have come with something.

• fresnoboy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Windows on Washington, I will post a photo later today when I get a chance to upload it, but there is no accessory track. That's why this is not just an issue of getting a custom screen built. There is no place to stick it in. I confirmed this with the original owner that built the house. No screens came with it.

What's more, if you tried to cut a track I'm the exterior part of the window, it would have to be in two pieces as there is a piece of wood vertically running up the center part of the window as the same depth as the exterior frame. The window just isn't designed for this.

Thanks
    Mike

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Please post pictures as that sounds somewhat odd to me.

• fresnoboy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have attached a photo of the lower right part of one of the windows. You can clearly see there is no track for a screen. I gather this kind of window is not designed for a screen.

I don't have a pic of the outside frame, but it kind of looks like the upper window in this house: https://www.houzz.com/photos/green-oaks-atherton-mediterranean-pool-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1939663-Oaks-Atherton-mediterranean-pool-san-francisco

or the "rounded top" windows on this house: https://www.houzz.com/photos/atherton-residence-mediterranean-exterior-san-francisco-phvw-vp~621868-New-Residence-mediterranean-exterior-san-francisco

This is why the folks I have talked to don't seem to have an answer. I have tried calling the folks at Panto, but the numbers in CA don't seem to work. There is no model number on the window as far as I can tell.

Thanks everyone - I sure appreciate the help!

• PRO
    10 years ago

You should be able to have a screen to the exterior with some tangs/clips that would grab that outside edge.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Exactly, offset turn-button would work as well. As far as the "round portion" or radius that should not be an issue either as there are companies that will make exactly what your looking for!

• fresnoboy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. How would these options look? Clips sounds like things would stick out and the screen not look very natural when attached to it.

I will google this option, but if you have some pointers to a site that shows the appearance of these screens attached to this kind of window, that would be great.

My wife's requirement isn't just for the screen, but that it also look great! :)

Thanks again!

• fresnoboy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PS There is a piece of wood between the two halves of the window that is flush with the outer rim of the window. See the 2nd pic from houzz I posted... It would seem a good idea to prevent binding with this if the screen could be "pushed out" a mm or 2. Do the clips support this sort of mount?

thanks again!

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Since they are Italian windows, the screens were probably optional. If they did not offer screens at the time the windows were purchased, it is still possible they now offer screens.

We have German tilt and turn windows. Here is a picture of one of our dirty windows:

Here is one with the screen attached:

As you can see, the clip attached to the screen and goes over the rubber gasket on the frame. The clips are not visible from the inside when the window is closed. The tips of them (about 3/8") are visible from the outside if you are standing right at the window. This is probably due to the color of our clips, if they were brown they would blend right in.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Great post dekeoboe.

Thanks for contributing.

• fresnoboy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dekeoboe, thanks for posting! This would indeed be a very neat solution. Did they come as part of the window or a retrofit by a 3rd party?

It would be great to find an equivalent clip for mine, but I haven't seen this sort of mount anywhere on the web. Is there a special name for these that I can look up?

thanks again guys! This is all very helpful.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

fresnoboy - We ordered them when we ordered the windows last year. Our windows are made by Hoco. I have no idea what the clips are called, but it would probably just be a translation of the German word for them anyway. They had to replace one of our screens because it was the wrong size, and they now make a spring-loaded system for attaching the screens.

I will try to take some close up pictures of the clips and the new system tomorrow when it is light out.

windowsonwashington - I try to help out with tilt and turn windows because they aren't very common in the US and many people don't understand how they work.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

As promised, here are the close-up pictures of the window screen clips.

This is the front of the clip:

and here is the back:

Here it is attached to the window screen. It just snaps into the channel.

you just rotate the clip to attach it to the window.

The newest screen we have has a system that is a bit different. This is the bottom clip. It is stationary.

The top clip moves. It is attached to a control lever by a rod.

This is the lever that controls the top clip. When in this position, the clip does not stick out beyond the screen, so you can install the screen.

When you push the lever in, the clip moves up and clips onto the window.

I have no idea if this is how all screens for tilt and turn windows attach. I know Marvin makes tilt and turn windows. They may have a different system, so you might want to go to a Marvin dealer and ask them how their screen attach.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

That is pretty neat, I have never seen such a system.

• fresnoboy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dekeoboe, thanks for posting! This would indeed be a very neat solution. Did they come as part of the window or a retrofit by a 3rd party?

It would be great to find an equivalent clip for mine, but I haven't seen this sort of mount anywhere on the web. Is there a special name for these that I can look up?

thanks again guys! This is all very helpful.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

We ordered them from the window manufacturer. The windows are all custom and the screens are made to go with them.

Our windows are German, so most of the paperwork we have on them is in German. I don't believe we have anything specific for the clips. The screens are called insect screens.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH