Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ode4minerva_gw

Price Quotes for: Inline vs. Marvin Infinity vs Marvin Integrity

ode4minerva
10 years ago

I live in Chicago on the top floor of a 4 unit condo building built in 1893 and rehabbed in 2006. The windows are aluminum and lack any sort of energy efficiency.

I'm looking to replace the windows and an in-swing french doors. Below are 3-different quotes. I'm leaning toward the Inline product because of price and what I've read here and elsewhere. Would I be making a mistake? What would you all do? I've read previous posts and have respected the insights of folks here. I plan to keep my condo for a long time, even if I move in the near term.

QUOTE 1: MARVIN INFINITY Dealer

(2) 30 1/4 x72
(1) 46x72 (Picture Window)
(2) 26 1/2 x72
(1) 24 1/4 x 43
(1) 41 x 62 1/2
(1) 22 3/4 x 64
(3) 20 x 28
In-swing French Door
(1) 71 1/2 x 79 (Marvin Ultimate)

Total: $24,000.00 (Quote for DH unless otherwise noted in parenthesis; price is reduced by $2K if I go with the Integrity Door)

QUOTE 2: INLINE Dealer and Certified Marvin/Pella Installer (but not for the Infinity product)

(2) 30 1/4 x72
(2) 26 1/2 x72
(1) 24 1/4 x 43
(1) 41 x 62 1/2
(1) 22 3/4 x 64
(3) 20 x 28

Inline Window Total: $12,000.00
Integrity Window Total: $12, 000.00 (Add $2K for casement windows)
Pella Impervia Windows: $13,000

French Door
(1) 71 1/2 x 79
Quotes for Different French Door Options:
Inline Door (2 Tilt and Turn): 4403
Quaker: 4700
Pella Architect: 7,022
Marvin Ultimate: 5667.39

QUOTE 3: Contractor who works with a MARVIN INTEGRITY DEALER (the dealer sells but does not do install of the Integrity product):

(2) 30 1/4 x72
(2) 26 1/2 x72
(1) 41 x 62 1/2
(1) 22 3/4 x 64
(3) 20 x 28
In-swing French Door
(1) 71 1/2 x 79 (Marvin Ultimate)

Total Windows and Door: $23,000 (this quote has one less window than the others: 24 1/4 x 43)

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

What are the options quoted? Is this price installed? How are they being installed? New Const., Replacement? Many things to know before anyone can come close to answering your questions.

• ode4minerva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Millworkman,

Thanks for the response. I'm new to all things home repair/maintenance and my inexperience is likely coming through. Please be patient with me.

Quote 1 includes LoE 366, 5-full frame w/colonial casing; the rest are inserts.

Quote 2 includes LoE366, not sure whether insert or full frame replacement. Will need to follow-up or run the other way?

Quote 3: this is the Ultrex/Wood, LoE 272, not sure whether full frame or insert. Again, will need to follow up or run.

Installation. Should the quote tell how things are to be installed? What is standard installation practice vs best practice for installation? What would you want the quote to say?

Thanks for your feedback.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

A few observations:
    - Both the Marvin and Inline are well built products. The Inline will offer better performance, but also the hassle of dealing with a company located north of the border when it comes to logistical issues like warranty service.

-272 is a better glass package for Chicago's cold climate in most cases.

-Unless you are in love with the Infinity, I'd save the $$$ and go with the Integrity out of those two.

-In Chicago, you also have access to the Starmark composite which offer some phenomenal performance, and a stainable interior like the Infinity. I know that Strong Windows carries the line and Dave over there is a great guy. Definitely worth looking into IMO.

• ode4minerva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HomeSealed,

Thanks for the response. The Infinity option is looking less attractive because the limited lifetime warranty only covers single family homeowners. I wonder, why? It seems pointless to pay the premium otherwise.

You make a solid point re the logistical issues that can bubble up dealing with a Canadian mfgr. That's part of the reason why Marvin made the short list. You cant argue with its longevity. On the flipside, I wonder if Marvin does not rest too much on its laurels knowing this or get a bit smug.

My research results had me ruled out vinyl products. I looked at Strong Windows' website. I will dig around further.

I appreciate your time and your helpful suggestions. Thanks.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

I think you will be fine with either of those choices (InLine or Marvin).

Dave (Strong Windows) is a great resource in IL and has some other than vinyl options too.

• ode4minerva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Windowsonwashington,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at either fiberglass or wood (or combination). My project is an optional improvement, so the safe bet seems to go with a product that has a proven track record. The word on vinyl is that it performs great out of the gates but its performance over the long haul is debatable.

I've read that wood and fiberglass each has their cons, but they seem the safer bet relative to vinyl.

I am not happy that my 11 windows and patio doors will likely run me 19,000-24,000 for fiberglass or aluminum clad wood, but that seems to be the range I can expect here in Chicago without risking good installation.

The issue now seems to be coming down to aesthetics and performance. Both are important. I hear Marvin's products offer a good balance where the Inline product wins more on performance and not on looks.

What do you all think?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

There is no credible data to indicate that vinyl performance diminishes over time if the window is well engineered.

If you are okay with vinyl, you would be surprised at how well they perform and how pretty the new ones are.

If you don't want vinyl, I would go with fiberglass next and Marvin and InLine are two very well build windows.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

This may be a bit late, but I have to second some of Windows on Washington's earlier comments. As someone that sells products of every material, there are pros and cons to each to be certain, but longevity is not an issue with a quality vinyl unit. Performance, warranty, lower maintenance, and value tilt the scale toward vinyl, while beauty and richness toward wood. If your priorities are longevity and performance, you might take a closer look at all of your options.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

The only product that I'd disqualify here is the infinity. No reason to pay the premium for less than mediocre performance.