Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_bernard_gw

Andersen Renewal

rebecca.bernard
13 years ago

We are trying to replace our windows and have had 5 vendors out to our house. Doing this is no fun at all, I must say.

Sears - Absolutely Not, end of discussion. (Getting them out of the house after four hours was all we can take - plus the quote was 25k for vinyl, which started at 36k)

RBA - Composite seemed nicer to us. Liked the look of this window and won't have to paint it.

Castle - Absolutely Not, end of discussion.

Home Depot - Didn't actually even show a window/give a quote.

Private Contractor - Reputable locally, considering if he can come up with decent window.

I have read alot of posts saying only an idiot (apparently this applies to me and my husband :-)) would buy these. Are they that bad?

We are going from casement (which are absolutely horrible) to sliders. (Some of the windows are just too big to be double hung - so sliders are the best option to keep the look of the house.) The house is almost 20 years old...

I think vinyl would look ridiculous in here...we are trying to keep it around 20k or less. RBA is right there. Advice, suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• dennisgli
    13 years ago

It isn't clear if you are asking about the quality of the windows, the quality of the installation, or the purchasing "experience". Andersen windows should be good quality - but the other two factors will depend on the franchisee that you are dealing with. Many people report high prices and high pressure sales tactics by Renewal by Andersen.

I'd recommend getting a proposal from the private contractor. You could also find an Andersen or Marvin distributor and ask them to recommend a few other local contractors and contact them.

• dodge3500
    10 years ago

Stay away from Anderson renewal high pressure sales way overpriced and poor installation methods they when they install them they put them right inside you old window frame so essentially you have a window inside a window which makes the new windows smaller (about 5 inches per window) I know this is common practice to install windows but on rental properties or other homes that are not worth the trouble of doing it right. For the price they want for these windows they should be a totally new window not just stuck in your old frames so they don't have to do any trim work they brag about how they install a whole house full of windows in a day it's because the do it as cheaply as possible go with other company's or local contractors the prices are far better and so is the quality and workmanship.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Renewal isnt a bad window, its just over priced and does not perform nearly as well as other composite windows such as Starmark Windows, which is one of the best windows available and definitely more affordable than Renewal.
    There are also some higher end vinyl that actually look very nice, engineered very well, and have better structural and energy efficiency numbers than renewal, some of those names would be Okna, HiMark, Soft Lite ( Elements), Sunrise ( Restorations), and Vytex ( Fortis).

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 21:40

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1

Not a bad window but any stretch...just not as good as they think it is or worth what they price it at.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

I had 15 Renewal by Andersons casements installed a month ago in my MCM ranch. They were not the inserts - the old windows were removed to the studs, and new interior and exterior trim was installed. We did not lose any "surface".

The installer we had was awesome to work with and no schlocky sales pitch. The quality of the trim work was top notch, and they repaired all plaster and paint damage, which was minimal to begin with.

So maybe RBA might be a higher costs if the total package includes interior and exterior trim work?

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

All windows will cost more if they include all new interior and exterior trim, which is called a " new construction" install opposed to replacement.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 14:41

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

What you describe is what is referred to as a full tear out. Are there additional expenses associated with the carpentry work...yes.

That being said, you can do a full tear out with any window. Not sure it is recommended in many cases though.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

The RBA is a pretty average window that is pretty, but has a terrible warranty and is generally sold for far more than its worth IMO.