Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessrae_gw

Lindsay Windows - Are these good?

jessrae
11 years ago

Hi - We are working on the plans of our new home, and are over-budget (we need to cut at least $30,000!) Our builder suggested changing to vinyl windows (our house plans have a ton of windows and the current specs are for Marvin Integrity.) He suggested Lindsay Windows. Has anyone ever heard of them? We definitely don't want to skimp on the windows!

Comments (50)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I have my doubts about this product. They appear to use a quality glass for their windows but I am always skeptical about a company that does not show their performance data or any really specifications on their website. Even companies that are typically poor performing windows but the info on the site, it may be in a very obscure place and close to impossible to find but it is usually there. that being said they may be fine but I have never heard of them and so this is just my observations.

• SomeDayCame
    11 years ago

I looked at Lindsay Windows before and thought they were fine. The company has been around since 1947 and just last year opened a new plant just west of Chicago. Their performance numbers can be found on their website under Marketing (link is on the top right of the page) and then scroll down for the particular window you want. I was looking at the slim profile Sunview model.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Its great that they have been around since 1947 but what type of windows did they manufacture be fore "upvc" and why do they not offer anything else?

• SomeDayCame
    11 years ago

Most agree that Sunrise makes a great window, but don't they offer only a vinyl option, too?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Just an observation on my part that they have been around 65 plus years and only make uPVC. You registered today what are the odds your an employee of Lindsay Windows?

• jessrae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses. I'll have to take a closer look at them and maybe check out some other options as well.

• SomeDayCame
    11 years ago

Yes, I registered today. I've been reading these posts for weeks. I recently bought windows - hope to have them installed next week. I previously registered at a different website - vinyl-replacement-windows.com. I strongly considered Lindsay, as well as Sunrise, but ultimately chose Okna. I felt all would have been good choices. I registered today because I saw a question that I felt I could comment on. Unlike some, I have seen the window and reviewed the performance numbers on them.

No, I don't work for Lindsay or any other window manufacturer.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

All things being considered, you picked a really good window.

Let us know how it goes.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

Lindsay did make wood windows at one time but I believe they sold that part. Lindsay usually takes a week or so to get back to you so I'm pretty sure Somedaycame does not work for them.

• SomeDayCame
    11 years ago

I didn't have any problems with Lindsay getting back to me (I, too, couldn't find the performance numbers on the website until I called and was quickly directed to where it is at). I had also asked some technical questions of the local independent salesman/installer, which he didn't know at first. The next day I got a call from a manager of the Lindsay plant in Warrenville, IL who addressed my questions.

Now, like I said, I ultimately didn't choose Lindsay. But I had more of a concern with the installer than the window. Interestingly, the guy who sold me the Okna windows had also previously defended Lindsay on one of the forums. It's not a bad window at all - though I did like the Okna better. For pure aesthetics, I liked the Sunrise even more. I also liked the Okna 500 better than the 800 - a personal choice, of course.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Ok, SomeDay, thank you for the clarification and I apologize if I offended you but so many people come on here pretending to be a Homeowner reviewing a product with positive and glowing endorsements and never post again. From the site they do not look like a poor choice I am just skeptical when a company changes horses in midstream like that, particularly what may be considered regional brands as opposed to well know marketplace brands.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Todd.....that was hilarious.

• PRO
    Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
    8 years ago

What does the installers not speaking english have to do with the manufacturer. From the looks of there website it looks like their Pinnacle window has some nice features. Could make for a nice upper mid range product IMO

• homeimprovement91
    8 years ago

There a mess....a complete mess. They have a script to tell customers how if your windows fog up its not covered under warranty. Something like, "all windows fog up." But more sneakily worded of course. And yes most of there installers do not speak English. I'm not going to say how I know but I've had an up close and personal experience where I've seen them just tell customers excuse after excuse on why there windows are not properly working.

• homeimprovement91
    8 years ago

Ole Joe Billy Bob, obviously works there. Lol. Extruded, Qlon, Soft lite. These are terms that a window manufacturer uses. Good try, manipulator. Keep ripping people off.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    8 years ago

@homeimprovement91, I can't speak for the type of service that you may have received nor will i comment on the product in question, however, generally speaking, I would have to say that neither the installers or condensation are likely the fault of the window manufacturer. They simply sell the windows to whatever company that you contracted to do the installation.

Regarding the condensation more specifically, assuming that the windows that you had installed were as advertised (correct glass package, etc) the windows themselves are all but impossible to fault for condensation. The temperature and relative humidity in your home are the variables involved. Here is a cool link for a dew point calculator: http://www.dpcalc.org/ There is really no room for anyone to manipulate on the subject of condensation, it is actually pretty easy to verify what is going on once accurate readings are taken on the RH , temp, etc.

• homeimprovement91
    8 years ago

I am not speaking on side companies who work through Lindsay Windows. I am speaking about the Manufacturer directly... I worked there and had to quit because nothing was organized, CONSTANT customer complaints, etc. The phone was ringing off the hook with complaints...it was really sad when I seen people spend thousands of dollars and then get put on the back burner for not getting what they ordered, wrong sizes, wrong colors, and taking too long to get back to them.

• homeimprovement91
    8 years ago

I also stated that they were manipulative in a completely different comment. I was stating that Ole Billy Bob was a fake post by someone who obviously worked there. And that is manipulative, not fogging windows.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Fair enough. I mistakenly thought that you were a homeowner having issues.

• frontiertodd
    8 years ago

Do Not Buy Them

• perryvg
    6 years ago

I have had triple pane windows that went bad, the service is not what I would call user friendly. I have recently called them 4 times and still do not have the problem solved. Check them out prior to purchase

• huntev1
    6 years ago

We are considering purchasing triple paned Healthy Windows from Lindsay for our home. Although we first wanted Pinnacle windows (also from Lindsay) based on a review of vinyl windows written for the Star Tribune by an independent contractor, we discovered that Pinnacles were only available through a particular contractor (Ron Boelter Windows and Siding). For reasons I won't go into here, we will not deal with Boelter. Lindsay's Healthy model was the closest to the Pinnacle model.

perryvg, would you mind telling me what you mean by your windows going bad? And when you say the service was not user friendly, did you mean service from your installer/contractor or from Lindsay? I feel relatively comfortable with the installer we've chosen, but am wondering if the problem you had was with the manufacturing or performance of the window itself and Lindsay's response to it?

It's very hard to find objective reviews of window companies. It seems reviews by customers of ALL window companies tend to be negative. Makes it hard for someone trying to pick a good window company.

• PRO
    Windows Direct USA of Cincinnati
    6 years ago
    While I'm not familiar with the Healthy window. The Pinnacle is a Duecinik window extrusion and several manufacturers make that product, so if thy is a window your interested in there may be other options. Provia, Slocomb, Thermal, and I'm sure there are several others. There are several pros here and on other boards that can give you objective info, since your likely located far far away from the markets we serve
  • huntev1
    6 years ago

Part of the reason we are leaning toward Lindsay (in addition to the facts that the u-values are low for the windows we are considering, their prices are competitive, and their windows are attractive) is that their main site is located in the town in which I live in Minnesota. So if we were to have issues, the company is within 10 minutes of our home. I'm not really looking for alternatives to Lindsay at this point (although I would do that if I determined that purchasing from them would not be a good idea) as much as I am some objective advice about the Healthy window model from Lindsay, either from people who have purchased them or professionals. I've visited Lindsay's website, as well as general window sites, such as the one provided by Consumer Report, and have tried to educate myself about window purchasing, but since I don't have a lot of experience with windows or construction in general, many of the explanations are difficult to absorb.

• PRO
    6 years ago

huntev1, it sounds like you have already looked into the U values. I'd suggest taking that a step further and examining the full scope of thermal and structural ratings on the products that you are considering. I am not speaking for or against this product that you've mentioned, but in general, I'd suggest looking at how the U values are obtained (ie: looking at how they affect the shgc and condensation resistance). This is particularly important in a climate like ours (being your neighbor to the East). Heavy doses of low e such can make a window pretty dark and actually less efficient, and other options like a surface 4 coating can create real issues with condensation in the winter. On the structural side, the AI (Air infiltration) rating as well as the DP will speak loudly to the quality and performance as well.

• frontiertodd
    6 years ago

I have over 30 Lindsay windows, The windows are shi------were not of quality and so was there service . That is my personal experience with Lindsay Company. And the Lifetime Warranty Lasted about 2 months.

• Rick Blalock
    6 years ago

Bought 18 Lindsay windows for my lake home. Love 'em! Purchased them in 2015. Have had NO problems. Picked a great installer, which IMO is biggest part of the decision as a poor installation will screw up a great window. As far as all these specks and energy performance issues, if that's the biggest concern you've got, by all means, knock yourself out trying to compare windows in that basis. Bit for me, I simply wanted a good window for the value and I got a great deal with Lindsay. No complaints here.

• Ron Mexico
    6 years ago

so if these "specks and energy performance" stuff is of no value, how do you know that you got a "good window for the value" or a great deal?

• Rick Blalock
    6 years ago

How do you know without your specs?

• PRO
    6 years ago

Rick, as an industry professional having sold and installed thousands of windows of various materials and manufacturers, I can look at a window with an informed eye and make a decent judgement on the quality without knowing the specs. Unfortunately, most homeowners do not have that luxury. In fact, they are bombarded with dubious information that would make even the worst windows sound pretty good, typically by sleazy sales guys, or at best, uninformed sales guys. Thermal and structural ratings give you an idea of how the product can be expected to perform, and are also highly indicative of overall quality. The best part is that they are 3rd party certified and completely objective, so they cut through a lot of sales BS.... Most folks wouldn't buy a car without looking at things like mileage, horsepower, towing capacity, etc depending on what they are planning to use the vehicle for, so why buy windows without knowing the specs? You are shooting darts blindfolded at that point.

• Rick Blalock
    6 years ago

All I'm saying is that you need to quantify all those specs and boil them down to what they really mean. Put the windows side-by-side in a real world situation and show the difference. All the testing in the world is only intended to made you feel a preference for one over the other. But if you can't translate that difference into something meaningful, it's just a bunch of numbers.

I have the windows. I'm happy with them. They work great. My utility bills have gone down some, but it's not some danged windfall.

They look nice, they were installed professionally by a contractor who was conscientious and did a wonderful job.

I'll never know if some other option might have changed the outcome and saved me a few dollars more per month on heating and cooling expenses, but that's neither here nor there.

Maybe I was throwing darts blindfolded, but that doesn't mean I missed the bullseye.

Experience is the only real teacher. And my experience wth Lindsey Windows has been good.

• homeimprovement91
    6 years ago

Just keep in mind that the owner creates profiles and pretends to be a customer to respond to these types of questions. I know this 100% because I've worked for him. Great at "getting over" on people. installers are horrible and they have scripts ready for when you call in to complain about it. No it will not be covered under "warranty."

• Rick Blalock
    6 years ago

I own the windows, not the business. I'm not selling anything, and I don't care what you buy. I'm telling you my experience with these windows and my installer. Take it or leave it.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

Unfortuantely Rick, 2-3 years may not be a giid test of there durability. Please comback in 7-9 years and tell us if you are just as happy with them as the 10 year mark is when they really start to go south if the quality is not there.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Wise words from mwm.

Superior engineering and materials beget superior ratings. Superior ratings beget better performance, for a longer period, more durability, and a longer service life.

Great vinyl windows that will last a long time with few issues have great ratings. Bad ones have bad ratings, and then there is everything in between.

• Ron Mexico
    6 years ago

homeimprovement91 seems to be on to something. Who randomly posts on a message board defending a product that they bought years earlier? That's very strange, and highly unlikely. Worst part is making excuses for bad performance. "don't worry bout them fancy pants specks and such, you should buy it just because!", lol

• HU-20475425
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Terrible company to deal with. They dont keep appointments and dont return telephone calls. Sliding door interior tracks freeze and hold water which the company will not address. Do not buy this product.

• Tracy Garfinkel
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Help, I’m looking to replace about 40 window in my home in San Jose Ca. I’m looking at Anlin Del Mar, Simonton Daylight Max, Lindsey (through Brother Improvements), and finally Milgard Intrinsic. Any help?? Not sure what speificially I should be looking for or asking about. This all so foreign to me. My wife really likes the Anlin Del Mar windows. So confused as this project is gonna cost me $30k.

• huntev1
    5 years ago

We went with Lindsey and had 16 windows installed. We love them. They look nice and no more air seeping through; rooms are a lot warmer than before. We hired some friends of some friends to install them, so we didn't go with one of the companies that contract with Lindsey. They did a good job and we paid less than we would have going with a larger company.

• Jim
    4 years ago

Hi huntev1,

Fellow MN homeowner here - also looking at approx 16 windows of various sizes being replaced with Lindsay windows.

I almost signed on the dotted line today for the Lindsay windows before finding the google reviews and this thread and telling the contractor (custom remodelers inc) that I was uncomfortable with the “warranty” comments I’ve seen here and on Google about the product and the installers service department failing to address issues.

Can you tell me the following:

1. Total cost you paid for the windows? I’m trying to see if I’m getting a “deal” at 13 windows for 10,571 installed (or 15 windows at 12k) for the Lindsay “Pinnacle” series windows.

2. How would “fogging” NOT be covered by the warranty (broken seals in the window is the only way I’d think that can happen in between panes) and how Lindsay would refuse to cover that or the installer?

3. How do warranty issues work with installer and manufacturer so they don’t just point fingers at one another?

4. Lindsay offers several series of windows - re the “Pinnacle” series the best series of windows they offer?

5. Has anyone besides “Rick B” had a positive experience with the Lindsay window company?

I’m seeing mixed reviews on the installer Service department I was quoted by (although the individual sales gentleman was very nice and knowledgeable)

Huntev1 - have any pictures of them installed? Slider or casements? Did you experience any of the fogging or ice in windows or other issues others mentioned above post-install or any complaints so far and which series did you go with?

• perryvg
    4 years ago

I have had problems with them on fogging

• Rick Blalock
    4 years ago

Just checkin' in after 2 years from my original comment. Everything is still fine with my Lindsay windows. I've since installed more Lindsay windows in a condominium I own and rent...that was in June, 2018. Those windows are doing fine...no complaints. And I used the Lindsay recommended installer.

I still contend (and this is based on comments I have from a friend who owns a window & door distributor) that the majority of problems with window failing is attributable to the installation. Those were his words, not mine. I'm no expert and maybe you should take my comments with a grain of salt to reflect that, but I am still a very much pleased customer of Lindsay Windows.

• perryvg
    4 years ago

Mine were professionaly installed but still have a problem they will not take care of the way they should

• Rick Blalock
    4 years ago

I'd just add one other thing. If you can, go see the windows installed somewhere. Don't take anyone's word for it, including mine. There's plenty of them out there and if you're in my neighborhood I'd be happy to show you what I've purchased.

• Justin Ahrens
    3 years ago

We had 26 of their windows installed about 6yrs ago. We live in central Wisconsin with every type of weather you basically can get. We’ve only ever had one issue. The widow vent in the frame on one side of one window broke and won’t recess into the frame. Not a huge issue but getting Lindsay to get a new vent sent out was a hassle that I eventually just gave up on.

All in all I’m happy with the windows. Cost is relatively reasonable. Based on home values in my area the cost of the windows and labor avg. out to about $800 a window(we have some massive windows) regular window sizes I believe were about $300-400 installed.

• Rick Blalock
    3 years ago

Glad to hear they're working well for you and I'm curious to know about the vent issue. I've not had any problems with my windows in either my lake house or my rental property and I saved a ton of money over the other alternatives I had to consider.

• Justin Ahrens
    3 years ago

Rick the window vent is removable on our windows. When I pulled it out I noticed the internal locking mechanism(small plastic notch) was broken preventing the vent from sitting flush with the window frame. The window operates just fine and a piece of clear tape takes care of the issue.

• Luis Carrasco
    3 years ago

These guys are 100% the worse. They kept missing and missing the delivery date. They tell you “you have to be there to receive the windows” give you a date and time, and then they show up with no communication.

Once they finally show up they can’t bring the windows into the house, so they just leave you with the problem out there for you to solve.

For them, everything is the customer problem. If anything goes wrong they have no accountability.

Please stay away from them, they will miss their dates, give you pretty terrible service and on top of that leave you to fend for yourself as they blame everything on you.

———

I installed the doors, they do not close, there's a one inch gap and the door doesn't close. They are defective. At first they did not want to come over to look at them. Finally the owner came to look at them, said they were “perfect” and how they were supposed to be. He got really frustrated and became super threatening. When I asked him to please leave he became really scary.

• Justin Ahrens
    3 years ago

Luis I will agree with you on the customer service aspect. I had at least 10 calls and 2 emails and still got nowhere with them.