Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
16cassie

Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance

16cassie
12 years ago

Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl window for the northeast: Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance by Mathews Brothers. Trying to decide if I want the Anderson 400 series or one of those mentioned above. Any comments or experiences from someone with knowledge of these windows would be quite helpful. We've been round and round in trying to decide which windows to get. Help us!!

Comments (22)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

You really are going to have to decide whether you want vinyl or wood before going any further. I don't really like any of your vinyl choices. Northeastern U.S. has a very large selection of vinyl windows. Some of the brands I like are Sunrise, Okna, Gorell and Soft-Lite.

• 16cassie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We thought we wanted the wood interior Anderson 400 TW Series. We currently have wood interior windows. We thought maybe the vinyl windows would be more cost effective, but got quotes for the Lockheed Vinyl windows and 400 series (wood clad aluminum); and there was only about a $300 price difference. Many people I have talked to love their vinyl windows "no maintenance, etc", but once you do the initial staining, polying on the wood windows, there really isn't a lot of upkeep after that. I haven't seen many reviews on Lockheed windows, but the salesman in our area who has been in the business for 20-something years highly recommends them. Then again, Anderson has many reviews and good reviews of their service department should something go wrong. I really was hoping someone could say something constructive to clarify which would make the better window in the long run???? Thanks, Skydawggy for your reply.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Sorry but with the lack of detailed information you are giving it difficult to give you much advice. Perhaps the Lockheed windows are overpriced and that's why the difference is only $300. Hard to say since you haven't even said how many windows you are considering. Andersen 400's are decent windows. Have you looked at any other brands like Marvin?

• millworkman
    12 years ago

just a note to clarify something, Andersen 400 series are a vinyl clad frame and a painted exterior on the sash if your using double hungs and in casements both the frame and sash are vinyl wrapped

• 16cassie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Regardless of my desires for aesthetic reasons, if you were replacing 20 Peachtree double-hung windows in YOUR home, which would you choose? Anderson 400 TW Series, or Lockheed Nucon Vinyl windows? Please state your choice and why, if you would be so kind??!!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

If price is not a factor, the Andersen 400 is not a bad option at all and will certainly show better than the the Nucon window.

The brochure I looked at shows a very average, at best, new construction vinyl window.

If you can put Andersen 400's in there at the same time, do that window 10 out of 10 times (by comparison).

• John_Stephens
    12 years ago

We are leaning toward the Anderson 400 series - especially after finding many people unhappy with the 200 series....but the Certainteed BrynMawr III look very good too.... I too ask for any comments.... Thanks, John

• doth
    11 years ago

I have Lockheed vinyl windows. I have had them for a little over a year,(2 winters) I think they are terrible. They leak almost as much as our old wooden windows. These are my first vinyl windows, BUT I am glad we did not do our whole house. I will look for another company for my second floor. I tried to buy local.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

Certainteed bryn mawr are garbage as well.

• dghealy
    9 years ago

my Lockheed windows have ICE FORMING ON THE INSIDE ON THE SEAMS. how much worse can this get.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Might not be all the windows fault but then again it might be. But you have not given anywhere enough info if you would like an opinion on stopping the ice/condensation.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Edges of the windows are the weak point and especially so if there is a bunch of air leakage at the interface locations. That being said, Millworkman is correct about the issue is more likely the humidity level in the home. Do you know what it is?

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    9 years ago

Good advice above. Better windows will be warmer, thereby reducing condensation, but the RH in the house is a huge factor. The best windows in the world can still get condensation under the right conditions.

• dghealy
    9 years ago

I dont care if it is 100% humidity. without the temp at freezing there is no ICE.

• dghealy
    9 years ago

I really dont care about condensation. I understand If I use the dryer I will probably get condensation. but ICE??? when it is windy outside smoke blows at 180 degrees when held next to the seams. is this normal?

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    9 years ago

Fair point on the ice dg, although there are other factors still that can contribute that are not necessarily the fault of the window. That being said, your additional information about what appears to be excessive air leakage is telling. If you truly have that much air leaking, that would explain the ice and certainly contribute to condensation as well. If that is the case, you either have a terrible window or a poor install. I'd probably contact the installer for them to take a look.

• dghealy
    9 years ago

thanks. I wont be holding my breath re: repair. He has, "installed thousands of windows".

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Famous last words......

• dghealy
    9 years ago

my installer said he has installed thousands of windows over 20 years and never had a problem. what would my dealer be able to do about this? btw. thank you for the information and for taking the time to answer.

• quasiexpert
    9 years ago

Well, it depends on who the dealer is. I've worked for my current employer(window, door, & cabinet specialty dealer) for over 10 years-and I still am schooling some installers that have been putting in windows about as long as I've been alive. If it's just a supplying dealer without any real service dept, you may be out of luck there. If it's a big box store, you may be completely out of luck in that instance, unless the manufacturer has a network of providers that they can contract with. We are contracted by certain window companies to work on windows that we had no hand in supplying, they just pay us to go out & take care of the issue if it's in our general area. Even with perfect installations, there is still sometimes a little adjusting or adding of weatherstrip to take care of remaining issues.

Personally, I would be calling the dealer to see what they're going to do to make sure your product is up to par. If they won't do anything, call the manufacturer. If that doesn't work, a letter to the executives of the manufacturer can work wonders, depending on the company. Hopefully you can get some answers to put you at ease.

I also would think it would be a decent idea to set up a service call with another contractor to check the installation-someone that has no skin in the game either way, and gets paid the flat service call fee no matter their observations.

• dorothy healy
    6 years ago

If you read my reviews above you will see I had EXTREME problems with my Lockhead windows. i have come to believe the problem lies with the installation. I have spoken to a few people who pointed out that the spaces on each side of the sashes were uneven . 1/8 to 1/4 inch difference. I took off the sticks and pried the frame over to close up the 1/4 space and I could SEE DAYLIGHT. there was no insulation to speak of and NO shims at all. I did not see the contractor check the inside of the windows once. I retract and apologize for my negative reviews of the Lockhead windows. I dont know how much of this problem was caused by the windows, but most of the issues were caused by poor in installation.